mcliffy2
Archived member
178 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
Note: this is not my image, it is by Florian Schulz and won top prize in the CIWEM Environmental Photographer of the Year 2010 awards.
I never cease to see new things that amaze me. I'm not sure if this is a congregation of mantas or mobulas, but either way it is spectacular. More info here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthpict...rd-winners.html
Edited September 24, 2010 16 yr by mcliffy2
adamdiveruk
Harbor Seal
3253 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
Shot in the Sea of Cortez I believe.
Adam
philsokol
Archived member
458 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
Holy f**ing sh$$! Very cool pic.
Phil
wagsy
Archived member
3845 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
and even nailed one leaping out of the water too.
Edited September 24, 2010 16 yr by wagsy
DeanB
Archived member
3069 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
This is one special image... I'm sure we all want to witness this migration after seeing this pic.
Awesome
Dive safe
DeanB
Drew
The Controller
10682 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
You guys should check out Florian's galleries over the years. His aerial images are awesome!
Florian's Galleries
asmigel
Archived member
111 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
Scubamoose
Archived member
1117 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
Awesome shot! Well deserved first place.
Cheers
Karel
stewsmith
Archived member
1593 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
I expect the Japanese fishing fleet will be heading there next year.
Hopefully not.
Stew
PIG004
Archived member
236 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
mcliffy2
Archived member
178 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
Found an article from 2005 with more information and some good shots: http://www.malbertphoto.com/mobulas1.html
mcliffy2
Archived member
178 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
I expect the Japanese fishing fleet will be heading there next year.
Hopefully not.
Stew
Unfortunately, the Mexican fleets can be just as bad (warning of very disturbing images): http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/baja-mex...-slaughter.html
marv800
Archived member
22 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
Holy Cow!!! That kinda makes Hanifaru bay look sparse!
Simon Rogerson
Archived member
134 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
I was one of the judges for this competition, and this was a popular winner among the panel. They are a type of mobula or devil ray. I once come across a super school similar to this while underwater (in Galapagos). It was impossible to photograph well underwater, and the group was very skittish
sterlingz
Archived member
98 posts
Originally published on Wetpixel.com
Stunning image from a great photographer! That is certainly an amazing spectacle. Good to know events like that still happen.