Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikonos IV Problem

Started by dwashbur ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikonos IV Problem

9 posts
  1. Someone gave me this camera, and I was fiddling with it, clicking the shutter and working the advance lever (no film) when it just quit working. the lever won't go, the button does nothing. I have no idea what happened, it didn't take a bump or anything like that, it just...stopped. Does anybody have any idea why and how to correct it?

     

    I've contacted Backscatter in Monterey (no answer yet) but if there's something I can do while I wait, might as well.

  2. Someone gave me this camera, and I was fiddling with it, clicking the shutter and working the advance lever (no film) when it just quit working. the lever won't go, the button does nothing. I have no idea what happened, it didn't take a bump or anything like that, it just...stopped. Does anybody have any idea why and how to correct it?

     

    I've contacted Backscatter in Monterey (no answer yet) but if there's something I can do while I wait, might as well.

     

    Great camera, but they were prone to salt build up around the shutter advance shaft. Likely, that is the cause of the problem. At one time it was recommended that you keep the camera immersed in fresh water when not being used. Once the salt build up is cleaned, make sure the orings are OK. Nikon repair cleaned a friends Nikonos IV and it flooded on the first dive. Good luck!

     

    Jett

  3. Nikonos IV make great door stoppers. :D

     

    Michel

  4. Nikonos IV make great door stoppers. :D

     

    Michel

     

    Could be. In the meantime, if someone has a couple of parts for one that they don't want, let me know. I need the cover for the strobe connection port, and the battery cover since this one is stripped and doesn't screw in properly.

  5. Suggest that you do not disassemble unless you have new o-rings. The old seals should be replaced & this would be a good time to do it. A complete service might be in order just to be sure all is ok before diving.

  6. Just F everybody's I, neither Backscatter location works on these cameras any more. The east coast one referred me to Southern Nikonos. I've contacted them and will pass along any info I get from them.

  7. Nikonos III and Nikonos V were great workhorse cameras. The IV was one of Nikon's worst embarrassments.

     

    To quote Indiana Jones, "it belongs in a museum."...of failed projects.

  8. Nikonos III and Nikonos V were great workhorse cameras. The IV was one of Nikon's worst embarrassments.

     

    To quote Indiana Jones, "it belongs in a museum."...of failed projects.

    With all the negative comments about the old VIa, I am truly amazed that I could take so many "keepers" with such a horrible camera.

    Bob

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.