Living in Indonesia, I sometimes get a bit behind on things, so it wasn't until my long-delayed copy of Diver (UK) finally arrived that I learned that Scubapro was carrying out a "voluntary recall" of almost all SMART computers due to a software programming error which "may cause the alert signals to stop working properly and, in some instances, the screen may freeze..[giving inaccurate information] such as depth, tank pressure, ascent rate, etc."
The "recall notice" is on all scubapro's websites....
Those of you who may read the critical review of the SMART computers I wrote a couple of years ago (accepted enthusiastically by the editor but "embargoed" by the publisher of a dive magazine which shall remain nameless) already know that I'm no fan of the so-called "micro-bubble suppression" feature on these turkeys, which when used can replace the no-stop-time display with meaningless and useless information. (For those that haven't, the URL is:
Embargoed review of Smartcom/SmartPro computers
With the bubble suppression disengaged, however, the SMARTPro and its lame cousins seem to function more or the same as the NitroxPro etc., though costing nearly twice as much. Used in this way, I've assumed that my SmartPro was safe, and have continued to use it as my primary dive computer - backed up by a NitekPlus (that I really like). Until now, of course.
Scubapro's website offers to "replace your SmartPro or SmartCOM with a new one within 90 days or sooner, either through authorized dealers or by filling out a form online. The recall notice isn't dated, but I gather that the announcement was originally issued in July.
I bought my SmartPro from an authorized dealer in Hong Kong, and I don't know if the shop claiming to be a scubapro agent here in Bali is "authorized" or not - when you click on "Dealers" on Scubapro AsiaPacific's website, you get a page that says "Under Construction."
Since the dealer route was looking shakey, I filled out the form on the website, and just to make sure, sent an email with all the relevant information to their processing center for handling the recall
That was last week. It's probably unrealistic for me to expect to have heard anything from Scubapro within a week, given the lawsuit they're dealing with in the US over an alleged cover-up of possible fatal flaws in the original Aladin Air X Nitrox, and another suit by Johnson Outdoors filed against John Ashour, the dismissed former head of the global diving division (Scubapro/Uwatec) over a variety of alleged offenses (including attempting to drive down the value of the division so that he could buy it at a discounted price), not to mention the ongoing investigation of Scubapro's business in France by the EU competition division.
JSOnLine article on Johnson Outboard legal and liability woes.. (and many more..)
It's sad to see a company that once made products I admired, used (and recommended to others) come to this, but my main concern now is getting a replacement for my possibly lethal SmartPro. I dive a lot, and don't like the idea of diving with only one computer - the NitekPlus. (Besides which, the data display on this otherwise wonderful little machine is too small for me to be happy using it as my primary computer.)
Given that Scubapro probably won't start counting off days in their "90 days or less" replacement promise until they decide to acknowledge that I've contacted them, which may be never, I wonder what the odds are of my getting a new computer from these geniuses sometime in calendar 2004.
Maybe it's time to start thinking about buying a second computer with a bigger display than the NitekPlus to serve as my primary computer. Anyone out there using a Nitek 3 - any views? Or are their other suggestions? My basic criteria are:
(1-10) Reliability;
(11-16) good conservative algorithm;
(17) nitrox capable;
(18) easy-to-read display,
(19) long-lasting and/or user-replaceable battery,
(20) a secure strap allowing the computer to be worn without a safety lanyard - another big problem with the newer Uwatec wrist mount computers.
(Losing my old Nitrox Pro while taking off my gear in the water (90 m) in Palau was what led me to the stupid decision to buy a SmartPro to replace it.)
Robert Delfs