Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

US Army uses Canon 5D Mark II for photo field kit

Started by Drew ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

US Army uses Canon 5D Mark II for photo field kit

7 posts
  1. Since early 2009, the Combat Camera Unit has been using the Canon 5D Mark II for field image capture (still and video) for PR and classified work. The personnel of the "news wing" of the Army (about 230 members in the unit) are given a ViDSLR kit and trained to use them. The kit includes:

     

    1xMacbook Pro

    2x Canon 5D Mark II

    2x 24-105L IS

    1x 50mm f1.4

    Software: FCS, Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Photomechanic

    among other accessories like drives, microphones etc.

     

    An advanced kit adds:

    1x85L f1.2

    1x50L f1.2

    1x45mm Tiltshift

    1x100mm macro

    1x16-35L II

    1x100-400L

    1x70-200L IS f2.8

    1x400L f2.8

    1x800L

    and other accessories like nightvision lenses, cases, steadycams, tripods etc.

     

    Each normal kit is valued at $25k and the advanced kit is worth $60k.

     

    The PR arm allows broadcast and other media outlets to download the approved videos and photos through the military website:

    http://www.defenseimagery.mil/index.html

    and

    DVIDSHUB.net

     

    The advent of the 5D Mark II allowed the Combat Camera unit to capture HD video and high resolution stills all in one unit, all operated by one soldier. And yes, they still carry full combat gear plus the camera gear!

    Edited by Drew
  2. Almost enough to make one enlist! ^_^

  3. Almost enough to make one enlist! :D

     

     

    Or switch to Canon? ^_^

  4. I think I might "accidentaly lose" a camera and a few lenses during some night mission. LOL ^_^

  5. Or switch to Canon? ^_^

    I was talking about the MacBook Pro.

    Actually I was thinking if they had chosen Nikon, I would definitely have enlisted! :D

    Edited by loftus
  6. If the Armed Services switched to Nikon I do not think they would have any problems reaching their recruitment quotas. ^_^

  7. I believe the reason Nikon Does Not Qualify is because of the video side. The Canon features 1080p @ 24(23.98),25 and 29.97fps and a 40+mbps codec. Being the US army, they'd use 29.97. Nikon, in it's very finite wisdom, only offers 24p @ 20+mbps. and that's just the D7000/3100 which is not FX.

    With the other requirement of wearing over 100lbs of combat gear plus field camera kit, I think like Nikon, I also DNQ for the job. ^_^

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.