Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Doing some CFWA At Night.

Started by JimSwims ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Doing some CFWA At Night.

12 posts
  1. Hi Folks,

     

    I recently got all the parts I required to do some close focus wide angle images and took the rig out for some night dives.

     

    I dived the local pier at Rye where good numbers of critters come out from hiding to feed and hunt.

     

     

     

     

    A Shorthead Worm Eel devouring a cephalopod.

     

    5046137144_f8079ee3a8.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    A Stargazer patiently waiting for it's next victim.

     

    5046137266_1762c6e49d.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    A Seahorse nestled in Sargassum weed.

     

    5046670615_b0fd565a3a.jpg

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    This site can have veritable swarms of Mysid Shrimps which can make avoiding backscatter an absolute nightmare. The two nights we dived

     

    there were no exception with the Mysid swarms thick as soup in some pockets. Fortunately I had just recently got a Sola 600 and the red light

     

     

    function worked exceptionally well to avoid Mysids flocking to my light. I did notice though that the red colour was coming through in some of the

     

     

    images. I'm not sure how to stop this but I'll have to play around with some different camera settings and light positions.

     

     

     

     

    All shots taken with the tokina 10-17mm with Kenko 1.4x TC behind a Baré compact dome. Very happy with this combo and I love the field of view

     

    it has. I just like when I used to use an Inon UWL-105 wet lens on a Fuji E900 only better.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Cheers,

     

    Jim.

  2. I love the seahorse image, really a piece of art for the wall.

  3. Lovely photos Jim!

    The seahorse shot is my favourite as well!

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  4. I have to agree with the above Jim. Get it printed as big as you can. It is ooooozing class.

     

    Stew

  5. Lovely work Jim.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Nigel

  6. Crispy & clean. Nice job. It's going to cost me a bunch of money for equipment, damnit!

     

    Which flavor of the Kenko did you get?

     

    Jack

    Edited by JackConnick
  7. I love the seahorse image, really a piece of art for the wall.

     

    That's pretty much what my partner said. She's been wanting one of my Seahorse images for the wall, it looks like this is the one.

     

     

     

     

     

    Crispy & clean. Nice job. It's going to cost me a bunch of money for equipment, damnit!

     

    Which flavor of the Kenko did you get?

     

    Jack

     

    Financial constraints have meant that it's taken me quite a while to get all the parts necessary to do this myself Jack. Now that I have I'm very happy

    with how it's all come together and how well it works. I ended up getting the latest version of the Kenko 1.4x TC (PRO 300 DGX). I had hoped I could

    also use it with the 60mm AF-S as a bridge until I got around to getting a 105mm, but sadly the AF-S lens doesn't like it at all.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  8. Ahh gees, ok, bought a Zen 100 + a Kenko 1.4 + gears and extensions for my D300s. One question, can you shoot wider (further away) with this setup as well? Or are you focus challenged...

     

    Also looking forward with playing with the Kenko on my 105VR (not sure what extensions I'll need) and on land with my 70-300VR.

     

    Jack

  9. Ahh gees, ok, bought a Zen 100 + a Kenko 1.4 + gears and extensions for my D300s. One question, can you shoot wider (further away) with this setup as well? Or are you focus challenged...

     

    Nope!

  10. Ahh gees, ok, bought a Zen 100 + a Kenko 1.4 + gears and extensions for my D300s. One question, can you shoot wider (further away) with this setup as well? Or are you focus challenged...

     

    Also looking forward with playing with the Kenko on my 105VR (not sure what extensions I'll need) and on land with my 70-300VR.

     

    Jack

     

    I haven't found focusing an issue at all with this lens on the TC but I have been using it along with a newly acquired Sola600. Wider shots can certainly

    be achieved but I've been concentrating on close work at the longer end of the lens so far. I have also been using it with the 70-300mm VR topside for

    birding and the AF handles reasonably well but does struggle at times in lower light or moving subjects.

     

    Here's another from those dives. A Stingaree with an unwelcome hitch-hiker.

     

    5058762884_5391588cd2.jpg

     

     

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  11. Jim - Very nice - I really like the seahorse and nice catch with the stingray.

     

    And sorry to say, I do not know where Rye is?

     

    Thanks for sharing - DiverPam

  12. Nice stingray. It's eyes kind of look right through you.

     

    Arrgh, TC arrived today but he rest didn't make it. Off to dive the islands tomorrow, shall have to resort to the Tokina 10-17 with my Optical Dome. Maybe the 105.

     

    Jack

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.