Hi Everyone.
Of recent, I've posted some quiries about lens, but for one of my traveling dive buddies, I thought I'd ask the forum of where to look for NikonosV training?
I'm not familiar with the NikonosV (though I've looked at getting one for my wife - but I'm ruling that out in favor of digital), so I'm not much help to her. I'm a little more patient than she and she seems a little hard on herself for not having better photo perfection in her eyes. Every trip we go on, she seems to want to absorb as much as she can from each fellow UW photographer, but each has their own opinion on bracketing, lighting, etc, etc, and she seems a little frustrated as I think she's looking for an 'all or nothing' way of trying to do it?
She says she has all of Jim Church's books on the Nikonos and has looked them over, though I'm not really sure how much she's studied? Some people don't learn well from a book, and need to be shown from another person to have the concept solidified. Now she is contemplating going to Cathy Church's Nikonos School on G. Cayman for developing her skills and having more immediate feedback and critique to improve upon for each dive there.
I'd like to share your all opinion's with her on whether that (going to C. Chruch's school) seems a worthwhile avenue of investment or why not? Or if you might offer some other options of 'schools' or formalized learning to recommend, as I think she really wants a concentrated NikonosV ONLY attention.
She's looking to go into the water and set up her shots, then come back, develop and adjust, then dive again and see if improvements were made. That option has always been available on all the liveaboards we do, but whenever she sees her shots (which I don't think are that bad) she always complains about something and then says she's conflicted by the differing advice she gets from each photo person on the different trips and different boats.
Each person's eye is different to me, do you think you can offer any help?
She's had the nikonosV for about 2 (maybe+) years - just starting in my opinion - but it does add up to be about 170 dives out of her 200 that she's had with it. She used/uses various strobes and does both wide angle and macro. And in general I think her shots to be pretty good.
I'm not sure if more patience is really the key, or better diving skills as she jumped into phtotography well before her control in the water was established and I feel everyone can always improve upon that. But no matter my advice to her in that matter, I think she's really looking for (and the only thing that will really sink in) is if an industry professional gives her a course, and comments and critiques her techniques and helps make adjustments. Somethign concentrated for a week long program type of thing.
Anyone you would recommend that offers a NikonosV ONLY course in addition to Cathy in Cayman?
Please don't say go to digital for more instant results, that's already been discussed with her and she's not willing to do that. I've already asked her to start with the basic of photography in general, but she seems to think she's beyond that and wants the NikonosV training specificly.
(sorry for being so winded here - bad habit I have - just trying to give a better background without you all having met her)
Thanks so much for anything you can offer. I, as always appreciate your help so very much!