Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Back up Back up Back up and then do it again.

Started by Giles ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Back up Back up Back up and then do it again.

4 posts
  1. The last 2 days I have been swearing .... a LOT

     

    I had an offer from a low res image (web res) for a cover use. I have a period of 1 month when my back up hadn't happened yet and my laptop hard drive failed, I have over 1000 images rescued from formatted and used CF cards (recovery programs are awesome) but the drive with my info on .. I think recording and reading heads are broken .. I am sure I would be able to retrieve the info if it was just the contents areas that were damaged, through USB enclosure the disk is recognised but you can't open it (it has gotten gradually worse since it happened)

     

    I back up, now more than I used to, but i always sued to and I still got caught out .. bugger .. will work harder for my next cover!

     

    Gutted :)

     

    Hopefully this post will make someone else go do a back up right now!

  2. Ouch.. sorry to hear that Giles! :)

    I'm really lazy and I have only 1 backup (on external drive), wich I update once a week. So far so good and I havent had the need to use it (knocking on wood).

     

    Karel

  3. Has everyone cloned their C: drive, just in case? Does your backup program copy all system & work files, or just work ones (like ur pics)? Had to replace my C: drive a few weeks ago - clone drive sure came in handy. All my work files are on separate drives, which are backed up to different external drives. It's good not to put all your fish eggs in one pouch (as it were).

    Edited by jcclink
  4. Just get a recovery done. They can read the plates without the heads. Costs a few hundred to a few thousand depending on the work. SSD is more expensive to recover, I found that out the hard way :)

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.