Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

A few Nikon D90 lens questions

Started by malley1717 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

A few Nikon D90 lens questions

4 posts
  1. Right now i have a D90 with the kit 18-105mm and am looking to get it in the water. Im going the ikelite route because i have had good experiences with ikelite so far (using their Canon G10 housing) and i want to keep the iTTL function of my DS-160.

     

    I've been doing a lot of researching on lenses. I think im going 60mm first, then 105 later. Does anybody have any opinions on new vs. old on these two. I am also looking at the Tokina 10-17. In terms of a rectilinear lens, im looking at the 12-24 focal length. Is there any practical difference between the nikon 12-24 and the Tokina 12-24, other than the big price difference? Im a college student, so unfortunately money is an object here...

     

    Thanks for your help.

     

    Max

  2. There has been much discussion about the new vs old 60mm lens here. Here is a link to some of it.

     

    old vs new 60mm

     

    I have the D90 as well. I have only tried the new 60 in the pool so far (changing that next week) and at times it focuses so fast it shoots past the focus point and thus 'hunts' in and out. I had to 'hit' a contrast line on the subject in the focus window at times to make it lock in. A focus light helped a lot with this issue. This testing was in an indoor pool that was fairly well lit but not bright - about the light I get in most dives.

     

    You can use a tokina 10-17 with a 1.4x extender to approach the field of view of the 12-24 but with closer focusing. This requires an extension on the dome to account for the space of the 1.4x. As to whether this fits your needs, is as sharp as the rect. etc. I cannot say. But for someone on a budget, its one less lens to buy for now. The 10-17 can use small domes which generally cost less and pack easier. The small dome does not work with the 12-24 however so if you start with the small dome, later you might want the larger dome and end up buying 2 rather than one.

     

    I took the DSLR plunge a yr ago and started using the 10-17 first, sometimes with the 1.4x. I love using it so much I have yet to use the 60 or 105 in the ocean even though I have the setup for both but then I do not get out that much, sadly. That should change in the next 2 weeks.

     

    Check out the JimSwims entry in Photo Showcase on this site from a day or 2 ago for some very nice pics with the 10-17, 1.4x and small dome. He is not using an IKe housing but that should not have much impact.

    Hope this is some help.

    Dave

  3. Max - Several of us have the D90 setup. The kit lens is not one that I have seen anyone on here housing. Everyone suggested that I not do that lens last year when I made the move as well.

     

    The 60mm macro and the Tokina are both great lens with to use. A focus light also helps with the hunting of the 60mm lens in low light situations.

     

    Couple of questions to ask...what are you interested in shooting? What type of water will you be shooting in? Answering these questions may also help when deciding what to do. Plus keeping in mind you budget.

     

    Dave and I both have been shooting this setup for the last year. If interested in what these 2 lens can do, please feel free to check out my flickr site. There are also others on here that use this. Look at Mike Veitch's postings below.

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36895

     

    Good luck and we look forward to your photos in the future - DiverPam

  4. The 60mm macro and the Tokina are both great lens with to use. A focus light also helps with the hunting of the 60mm lens in low light situations.

    I have the D80 which is very similar to the D90. I recently started using the Tokina 10-17 or the 10-17 + 1.4 TC with the small Bare dome. I don't contemplate using the 12-24 underwater any more; less and smaller gear for travel and the close focus of the 10-17. I do give up over & under shots with this port, but I rarely tried them any way.

     

    I use the older 60 and 105 macro lenses. The 60 is just fine with a/f and a spotting light (does not have to be very bright even at night). I use the 105 in manual focus most of the time, but can switch to a/f while under water. Ike has a manual focus port; I don't know if they have the gears for switching the lens back and forth from a/f to m.

     

    I prefer the longer working 1:1 distance of the 105, but the 60 is easier to learn with and sometimes the 105 is too long for many subjects. If ike will allow you to switch a/f - m on the lens, I would go with the new 60 or 105., otherwise you can always prefocus the hunting lenses and then take the shot.

     

    Bob

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.