Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Kenko 1.4 + 10-17 good for sharks? Which ikelite port?

Started by bloups ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Kenko 1.4 + 10-17 good for sharks? Which ikelite port?

7 posts
  1. Hi Everybody

    I have been using both the tokina 10-17 (6" and 8" dome) and the 12-24 (8" dome +2diopter) for sharks in polynesia. I am really happy with the results of the 10-17 except that most of the sharks are a bit too shy and the lens is too wide. I havent been so happy with teh sharpness of the 12-24 and I was thinking to use the Kenko 1.4 converter with the 10-17 for my next trip.

    Is that a good idea? Any experience with the combo for sharks amd other large fish?

    I am using a D200 in a ikelite housing, what port is suitable for this combo?

    Thanks for your help

     

    Galice

     

     

    www.galice.nl

  2. I would be worried that images at 17mm with a teleconverter might be a bit soft: I know that it's a platitude, but getting close (ie getting in the right place, possibly with the right people) is better than a longer lens...

     

    The 12-24mm is notorious, and needs a really big dome to perform merely adequately. I can't say anything useful about Ikelite domes, but I'm sure that there's someone here who knows...

     

    Tim

     

    :)

    Edited by tdpriest
  3. Try a +4 diopter on the 12-24. I use it in a Nexus with 6.75" dome. Works great.

  4. I took this with the Tokina 10-17 and the 1.4 teleconvertor in Gran Canaria last week, on a Canon 7D in Nauticam Housing

     

    5062745967_05c01fe90c.jpg

     

     

    and then this on the same dive focusing about 2cm from the end of the Zen 100mm dome port

     

     

    5062747729_77a4cb7e73.jpg

     

    Very versatile combination I have found.

  5. Try a +4 diopter on the 12-24. I use it in a Nexus with 6.75" dome. Works great.

    Ditto on the 12-24 +4, but I am favoring the 10-17 or 10-17 + 1.4 TC and the small Bare dome for travel.

    Bob

  6. Thanks

    Any suggestion on which ikelite port for the combo with the 1.4 converter ??

     

    Galice

     

    www.galice.nl

  7. Same port you use with 10-17 should work, but add a 20mm extension ring to maintain lens/dome relative position. (20mm is approx height/width of 1.4 TC)

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.