Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Bag or Case

Started by Jasoncassanova ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Bag or Case

12 posts
  1. I've been trying to choose for the longest time which to get between the two for transport and safekeeping, Kata HB-207 or Pelican 1510, for my set up. I would like to hear for your opinion about this.

  2. Hi Jason,

     

    Welcome To Wetpixel!

     

    You don't mention what sort of gear you have-to answer your question it would be best if we knew what size it was!

     

    In general terms though there are some excellent forum posts on packing and transporting rigs:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22986

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34003

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5814

     

    Hope those help!

     

    Adam

     

    my apologies adam, i have a g11 and i got an ikelite housing and the double handle tray to go with it. will check out the links you're provided, thanks.

     

    Jason.

  3. Jason

     

    If you're flying within the Philippines, get a Sportsplus Philippine Package from PAL, they're only U$30 for 1 year and you get an extra 20kg. Cebu Pacific usually lets you check in an extra 20kg free if you show your C-Card. If you want to carry on your Ike housing, any of the popular photo backpacks will easily hold your camera, housing and strobes (of course, you'll likely need to separate the housing from the base tray). 1 thing to remember, with your housing, remember to remove the O-ring before your flight or you'll have a hard time opening it at your destination. A DSLR housing opens on both ends and can be exposed to ambient pressure, your Ike may "Burp" out the sea level air pressure when you get to cruising altitude and you'll be stuck with it sealed.

     

    Most Pinoy divers travel with those crates and stick them into duffel bags. You could do that too and put your housing inside.

     

    Cheers

     

    Stu

    Pinoy na naging Canuck. :drink:

  4. Jason

     

    If you're flying within the Philippines, get a Sportsplus Philippine Package from PAL, they're only U$30 for 1 year and you get an extra 20kg. Cebu Pacific usually lets you check in an extra 20kg free if you show your C-Card. If you want to carry on your Ike housing, any of the popular photo backpacks will easily hold your camera, housing and strobes (of course, you'll likely need to separate the housing from the base tray). 1 thing to remember, with your housing, remember to remove the O-ring before your flight or you'll have a hard time opening it at your destination. A DSLR housing opens on both ends and can be exposed to ambient pressure, your Ike may "Burp" out the sea level air pressure when you get to cruising altitude and you'll be stuck with it sealed.

     

    Most Pinoy divers travel with those crates and stick them into duffel bags. You could do that too and put your housing inside.

     

    Cheers

     

    Stu

    Pinoy na naging Canuck. :drink:

     

    Stu,

     

    Kamusta kabayan :) well I am getting the sports package of Philippines Airlines, mostly only on that airline since I trust them with their service compared to Cebu Pacific. I will never forget that "Burp" advice of yours, so you mean to say that I can close the housing as long as I take out the o-ring before the flight?

     

    I know what you mean by the crates but sad to say I don't have a car of my own that is why right now I am investing on making sure that my gear is in good condition when I travel, either by land, sea or air.

     

    Jason.

  5. Yes, remove the oring from the housing before you fly.

     

    I totally agree about taking PAL, lesser of the 2 evils, pero, you gotta like the Cebu Pacific FA's doing the safety dance!

     

    Ingat pre :drink:

     

    Stu,

     

    Kamusta kabayan :) well I am getting the sports package of Philippines Airlines, mostly only on that airline since I trust them with their service compared to Cebu Pacific. I will never forget that "Burp" advice of yours, so you mean to say that I can close the housing as long as I take out the o-ring before the flight?

     

    I know what you mean by the crates but sad to say I don't have a car of my own that is why right now I am investing on making sure that my gear is in good condition when I travel, either by land, sea or air.

     

    Jason.

  6. I have my cameras in PeliCases and it goes in a innocent looking bag, while the G11 stays in the pocket of my photographers west while th Nikon D90, Lenses, chargers, external Hard disks, laptop, etc. stay in a Loewe photo backpack

    My G11 with Patima housing, 1 D-2000 and WA wetlens fit perfectly in a PeliCase 1450 and this smaller than carry-on size.

    Best way to carry is carry-on, second best way is checked baggage camouflaged in a innocent looking enclosure, third and most dangerous way is sending the Pelicase without a enclosure.

     

    In your case i would buy a Pelicase or similar but lighter rigid case so tht you can use it carry-on or stuff it in a checked bag.

     

    Chris

  7. Yes, remove the oring from the housing before you fly.

     

    I totally agree about taking PAL, lesser of the 2 evils, pero, you gotta like the Cebu Pacific FA's doing the safety dance!

     

    Ingat pre :)

     

    well that's what i'm having doubts about, sooner or later it'll be the pilots who'll taking the stage in performing :drink:

  8. I have my cameras in PeliCases and it goes in a innocent looking bag, while the G11 stays in the pocket of my photographers west while th Nikon D90, Lenses, chargers, external Hard disks, laptop, etc. stay in a Loewe photo backpack

    My G11 with Patima housing, 1 D-2000 and WA wetlens fit perfectly in a PeliCase 1450 and this smaller than carry-on size.

    Best way to carry is carry-on, second best way is checked baggage camouflaged in a innocent looking enclosure, third and most dangerous way is sending the Pelicase without a enclosure.

     

    In your case i would buy a Pelicase or similar but lighter rigid case so tht you can use it carry-on or stuff it in a checked bag.

     

    Chris

     

     

    Thanks for sharing chris, but what I had in mind was one bag for gear, another bag for underwater set-up and another one for clothes if ever i would go on a trip, plane or boat, three luggage would be a maximum for me. if I understand it right for you set up you have a pelican case and a lowepro bag.

     

     

    Jason.

  9. Hi Jason For what it's worth I pack all my gear including housings in soft bags for hold luggage. It is a large bag and is about 1/3rd full of bubble wrap and polystyrene chips in bags. This has not resulted in any damage except a bent bolt on the Ike handle to tray attachment( I now detach the handles from the tray). The weight of this is significantly less than a solid case of any description. It seems to me possible to pack stuff with items such as fins protecting items such as housings. Although I accept the possibility of damage should security types repack in a different manner after inspection, it hasn't happened yet.

    Cameras and computers go as hand baggage.

    regards Tim Digger

  10. Hi Jason For what it's worth I pack all my gear including housings in soft bags for hold luggage. It is a large bag and is about 1/3rd full of bubble wrap and polystyrene chips in bags. This has not resulted in any damage except a bent bolt on the Ike handle to tray attachment( I now detach the handles from the tray). The weight of this is significantly less than a solid case of any description. It seems to me possible to pack stuff with items such as fins protecting items such as housings. Although I accept the possibility of damage should security types repack in a different manner after inspection, it hasn't happened yet.

    Cameras and computers go as hand baggage.

    regards Tim Digger

     

    Hi Tim thanks for the insight, I think i'm going for the Kata bag, it has compartments for a lot of equipments and like what you did, I can also wrap everything in bubble wrap if i'm still doubtful. The bag is obviously lighter than the case and a lot of people in other threads have convinced me that it's not worth the extra cost of excess baggage.

  11. nice bag

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.