So it looks like I've killed my Canon 10-22, and now I'm looking for a replacement.
I had the 10-22 for years, and in general have been pretty happy with it, but I'm wondering whether anyone can offer their thoughts on whether there are better options out there now. The only thing that ever really annoyed me about the 10-22 was soft edges below f8. I'd prefer to stay with rectilinear, fisheyes annoy me.
Any opinions gladly entertained,
thanks,
Dean.
Dean,
Sorry to hear that fisheyes annoy u, as i was about to suggest the Tokina 10-17. Its a great lens and sure many other people will back me up on this. The only issue seems to be if u can find one in a Canon fit, they seem to sell out faster than they are shipped!
Olly
The only thing that ever really annoyed me about the 10-22 was soft edges below f8.
Which dome were you using?
Dean has been shooting behind the standard Aquatica 8" Dome.
i replaced the 10-22 with the Tokina 11-16. it's better, but not night and day. in my experience, there are no wide zooms that are close to sharp at the edges at anything less than f8 - and that's on land without dealing with the effects of a dome
i found the 11-16 required the same 2 1/4 inch (+/-) extension with an 8 inch dome (then added 1 1/2# lead at the front to keep it from pointing up) as the 10-22 plus a +2
I also have a 7D but in a Aqua Tech housing with 8" Dome. So far I've been shooting with the tokina 10-17 fish. I have the fish for sale now on ebay as part of a HCW housing. My plan was to buy both a Tokina 11-16 & a LP-DWZ. That's the non-dome port for the canon 10-22. Anyone know if the 11-16 will fit that same port, the outside dimensions of the two lenses look almost identical. I thought we weren't supposed to shoot a corrected lens in a dome port? I don't think the 8" dome port I have will except such wide lenses like the 10-22 or the 11-16.
Jeffrey
I also have a 7D but in a Aqua Tech housing with 8" Dome. So far I've been shooting with the tokina 10-17 fish. I have the fish for sale now on ebay as part of a HCW housing. My plan was to buy both a Tokina 11-16 & a LP-DWZ. That's the non-dome port for the canon 10-22. Anyone know if the 11-16 will fit that same port, the outside dimensions of the two lenses look almost identical. I thought we weren't supposed to shoot a corrected lens in a dome port? I don't think the 8" dome port I have will except such wide lenses like the 10-22 or the 11-16.
Jeffrey
Jeffrey, the 8" dome you have will work with both the 10-22 and the 11-16mm, corrected lens AKA rectliniear wide angle can and are commonly used with dome port, unlike fisheye lenses, they do need smaller aperture and more attention to the actual dome placement (with extension rings in most cases)