I can't seem to separate the port from my 8" ikelite dome. It doesn't seem to want to budge. Does anyone have any helpful tips on how to get it off? I'm thinking of maybe rinsing the joint with hot water for a while.
- 9Posts
- 9Replies
Read-only discussion
Ikelite port/dome problem
-
-
These things here work with care.
Don't jerk it as you can break the port, you just want sustained and gradually increasing pressure until it lets go.
Don't think warm water will do much to be honest.
Paul C
-
These things here work with care.
Don't jerk it as you can break the port, you just want sustained and gradually increasing pressure until it lets go.
Don't think warm water will do much to be honest.
Paul C
Yes, these work well, apart from on the short fisheye extension. (5510,5511, bayonet type). There is just not enough space to get it in. I have found that for these then with great care i have used some old inner tube to pad an adjustable wrench and slid this over the recess making sure not to touch the sealing surface, then whilst I grip the extension a friend slowly rotates the port...be very careful!!!
Also take care when assembling, as they are plastic threads it is very easy to cross thread them!
-
Thanks for the tips! The strap wrench worked like a charm.
And I'll be extra careful with the fisheye extension that's going on in it's place!
-
Thanks for the tips! The strap wrench worked like a charm.
And I'll be extra careful with the fisheye extension that's going on in it's place!
For the fisheye I find you can still use the strap wrench - just use the rubber part of it to place flat against one of the port gaps so you have some padding for your thumbs when trying to undo it.
Otara
-
Thanks for the tips! The strap wrench worked like a charm.
And I'll be extra careful with the fisheye extension that's going on in it's place!
The fisheye port is actually easier to remove, just leave the port/dome on the housing facing up, and turn the dome slowly counter clockwise. The housing will stop it at certain position then you can turn the dome out. Be careful though, so far I haven't broken my housing doing that.
-
The fisheye port is actually easier to remove, just leave the port/dome on the housing facing up, and turn the dome slowly counter clockwise. The housing will stop it at certain position then you can turn the dome out. Be careful though, so far I haven't broken my housing doing that.
I really wouldn't advise this....you are putting a lot of load on the small screws than go into the front of the housing. I have just had to send my housing to ikelite as a stress fracture occurred at exactly this point and water started to slowly enter the housing.......you have been warned....
-
I really wouldn't advise this....you are putting a lot of load on the small screws than go into the front of the housing. I have just had to send my housing to ikelite as a stress fracture occurred at exactly this point and water started to slowly enter the housing.......you have been warned....
Agreed, I take it back. I do it at my own risk but it's really not something I should have recommended others to do.
-
Again just my take. I seldom tighten the dome fully, just the very slightest nip. The O ring is a piston type seal rather than a compression gasket type and would probably need 2-3 full rotations of the dome before it leaks.