Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

HELP! FLOODED Inon.... What to do?!

Started by OralDouglas ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

HELP! FLOODED Inon.... What to do?!

9 posts
  1. HELP!

     

    I JUST flooded my Inon z240. The battery cap was left off.... boat guy put the stobe in the dunk tank.

     

    Im sure there was fresh water in the battery box. What can I do?

  2. I flooded a Z240 in salt water, a quick rinse in fresh water, new batteries, and it was fine. The battery compartment is sealed from the electronics.

     

    It might help to clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, it will remove any slight corrosion, but not damage them.

     

    As you flooded it in fresh, then I would be very hopeful it is OK :drink:

     

    Sean

  3. Who knows what was really in the dunk tank. Rinse with bottled water so you know its clean. Then have it checked out when you're back home, just to make sure its ok.

  4. I flooded one of mine last year or year before [salt water], and found that the battery compartment was NOT sealed from the electronics. You could see water in the front. If this happens, the only "fix" is to buy a new one.

    If you saw no such water, rinse as mentioned earlier, clean the contacts. Then, it would help to put the strobe in some kind of container, along with hair dryer, to ensure really dry before inserting batteries and testing. If it works, great!

     

    My guess is that the strobe will survive the dunk tank far better than a salt water dive.

     

    You left cap off and boat guy dunked? Lesson learned, don't let that happen again.

  5. Some strange comments...

     

    ... I have dived in freshwater without o-rings in a Z-240. The water stayed in the battery compartment, and the strobe kept working (must have been very fresh water)!

     

    If you clean out the strobe, it should work. I have used a Z-220 after salt water flooding, and that worked after cleaning out the battery compartment, too.

     

    Tim

     

    :drink:

  6. Rinse thoroughly with fresh water, then rinse with rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol), blow dry. If you are lucky the strobe will now work. Of course, if you waited too late and corrosion has set in, it may be toast.

  7. Hey everyone!

     

    Thanks for the support during these trying times. :drink:

     

    Heeding various advices Ive been getting, I had the strobe "up on blocks" for the day- packed with rice to soak up the moisture.

     

    Last night I cleaned out the bat compartment as RXed and gave it a few blasts with compressed air to dry it out....

     

    The next day (today) it worked! Woo hoo! ....then after the 5th dive of the day I noticed something odd.

     

    I had the strobe turned off and still under the surface - but I could see a faint orange glow coming from inside the strobe through the status light window. I thought it was funny, and I couldnt remember ever seeing this before. I had to change the batteries anyway, so I took them out and the glow was still there! Def. coming from inside the strobe. I couldnt feel any heat coming from the body, so I took it on a night dive and it continued to work fine. (Yes, I did 6 dives today... 04.gif )

     

    Im stumped. Has anyone ever seen this before with an Inon z240? Is my strobe a time bomb???

     

    ...stay tuned!

  8. ... rinse with rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl alcohol), blow dry...

     

    I would be careful with the alcohol: it can cause the o-rings and seals to dry out and crack. Lots of fresh water and a bit of sandpaper on corroded terminals usually works!

     

    The orange glow sounds a bit odd: shorting across a capacitor somewhere? That would be a bit scary. There are a heap of volts in there!

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  9. The orange glow sounds a bit odd: shorting across a capacitor somewhere? That would be a bit scary. There are a heap of volts in there!

     

    If that were the case Tim it would have killed itself by now.

     

    More likely a neon lamp in there - as to if it is 'normal' or a warning condition I do not know.

     

    Paul C

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.