Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Pole cam + Magic Filters / yes or no?

Started by MaLe ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Pole cam + Magic Filters / yes or no?

7 posts
  1. Hello together

    I am planing a two weeks trip to Madeira and hope that I can get my newly build DIY pole cam in the water (Nexus + 5D mk1 + EF 15mm Fisheye). I am hoping to catch some whales / dolphins. Now I am not sure if I should get a set of Magic Filters for the trip.

     

    - Whats is your opinion / experience with taking Ocean images close to the surface the magic filters especially in 0,3 - 1m? Would you advise to use the Magic Filters?

    - Whats would be your preferred ISO / aperture to start with for those ambient light shots ( of cause depending on the light condition / sunny / cloudy /....... )

     

    Thanks for your feedback.

     

    Best regards,

    Matthias

  2. As much as I am Magic Filter junky, I would not recommend them in such shallow condition as they will pink out everything, pole camera typically work in shallow water where there is plenty of light penetration and a managable loss of color, the filter will complicate thing uncessarely and rob you of a few precious light stops that could/should be converted in either more depth of field of faster shutter speed. these filter really work their magic when they have somewhat of a water column over them.

  3. I agree, CC filters aren't necessary in shallow water.

  4. Hi Viz'art, hi Drew,

    thanks a lot for your feedback. I was kind of expecting that due to the shallow waters the filter might turn out to cause a color cast.

     

    Best regards,

    Matthias

    Edited by MaLe
  5. ISO/aperture needs to accommodate a shutter speed of at least 1/400sec, and 1/600sec is better for dolphins (a tip from an expert that really worked for me). That probably means a minimum of ISO400.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  6. The color cast can be whitebalanced out, the problem is the 2 stops of light lost. In Madeira, there's bill fish like Marlin around and you want a fast shutter speed to freeze the action. 1/800 and up if there are tuna around too. You also want want to keep noise down so I suggest you start with ISO320 and move up from there. How high depends on your personal needs and tolerance for noise.

    Edited by Drew
  7. Dear All,

    thanks a lot for your feedback. I will begin with ISO 400 and 1/400s and see what aperture I will get out of that. I hope that the weather is on my side. After that I will see in which direction I can go with the settings ....

     

    First I have to finalize my DIY project in the next few days.

     

    Best regards,

    Matthias

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.