Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Leak Insure

Started by Jasoncassanova ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Leak Insure

8 posts
  1. I always thought that desiccants have always been re-usable until i found out that Leak Insure is disposable. Do you have anything else to recommend that is as good or if not even better than Leak Insure?

     

     

    Jason.

  2. I always thought that desiccants have always been re-usable until i found out that Leak Insure is disposable. Do you have anything else to recommend that is as good or if not even better than Leak Insure?

     

     

    Jason.

     

    I've used these and they are re-usable if the housing does not leak. I used the same sachet for two weeks of diving in sharm.

  3. I always thought that desiccants have always been re-usable until i found out that Leak Insure is disposable. Do you have anything else to recommend that is as good or if not even better than Leak Insure?

     

     

    Jason.

     

     

     

    Hi Jason

     

    Tissue paper. This is no joke. That was what I intially thought when a friend showed me this method. Almost all types of tissue although the common toilet tissue paper is the best size. You vertually have endless supply so you could use a fresh sheet each time. Just one sheet rolled up and tuck in the buttom part of the housing neatly away from the oring and it will work well to absorb any moisture in your housing. Also it has the added advantage of using it to wipe of any droplet when you open the housing. This is often overlooked as capillary action forces the water to the contact sides of the o-ring however small amount if not wicked out when opening the housing will cause fogging problems when the camera is used again and heats up the air inside the housing. Aluminium housing suffers less as the metal is a good conductor and the temperature soon balances out. Where as plastic housings the difference in heat inside and outside could cause the "dew point" to form and thus condensation. How well the tissue work will depends on the air temperature and the water temperature as well as "dampness" inside your housing at the time but I would not go into the boring detail - the simple fact is save yourself money. I did and I use it all the time now. Desiccant is good but difficult to find. Tissue you could get free in any toilet. :(

     

     

    Cheers

     

    David

  4. Sanitary pads :(

     

    Cheers,

     

    Diggy

     

    I always thought that desiccants have always been re-usable until i found out that Leak Insure is disposable. Do you have anything else to recommend that is as good or if not even better than Leak Insure?

     

     

    Jason.

  5. I think Leak Insure would be more of an absorbent than a dessicant. Most dessicants, silica gel being the most widely known (I wouldn't use any containing potassium chloride, which is very corrosive), can be regenerated. But Leak Insure is probably similar material as is what is in a diaper.

  6. I always thought that desiccants have always been re-usable until i found out that Leak Insure is disposable. Do you have anything else to recommend that is as good or if not even better than Leak Insure?

     

     

    Jason.

     

    If you are looking for silica gel dessicant here is one place where I have purchased it relatively inexpensively: http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.c...252036&ai=y . You can find others with a little web searching. Silica gel can be regenerated in an oven but at these prices the electricity may cost you more than using a new packet. If you buy bulk, you do need to store in low humidity environment like a tight container to maintain effectiveness.

    Edited by rwe
  7. I use silika gel + I steal a few tampons from the missis. :(

    Silika gel takes care of the condensation / humidity (if it should occur) in the housing and tampons are for a case of a leakage.

     

    Cheers

    Karel

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.