Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nanoflash 3D

Started by Drew ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Nanoflash 3D

6 posts
  1. Earlier this year, I saw a underwater 3D rig using Convergent Technology's Nanoflash technology as capture device. This rig used 2 cameras and genlock with 2 Nanoflashes recording left and right cameras. I was very intrigued as to how they achieved sync and monitoring the L/R image, which showed on 1 monitor. I was sworn to secrecy about the rig but it turned to be the Nanoflash 3D, announced last month.

    The Nanoflash 3D uses Genlock to sync the cameras and Nanoflash units to record. Then with the HDSDI output from one Nanoflash 3D unit, one can monitor the L/R images, using a Marshall monitor, which has peaking for focus among other useful features. Unfortunately I can't show any pictures of the rig yet until the production is finished but suffice to say it was certainly nice to watch 3D sharks up close.

    The important thing is that with 2 genlock cameras, you can now shoot at 100mbps or higher I frame underwater, once you figure out the camera positions for interocular distances for 3D :)

     

  2. Hi Drew, Thanks for the Nano 3D link. Like the stereocopic demo!

     

    I learened back in April that Woods Hole was already using Nano flashes with its 3D rigs using RED's, Sony 1500's and small form factor prototypes (both side by side and on a beam splitter). The small size cameras and Nano flashes fit in a housing well and are autonomous or they can be used with fiber to the surface.

     

    Have you surveyed the presently available high quality, small form factor genlock camera options? It would be great to get a discussion of those going here.

  3. The Advanced Imaging and Visualization Laboratory (AIVL) of WHOI have been shooting 3D HD for years now (especially underwater) and are always pushing the envelope to improve their equipment. They have a 3D HD rig that fits in the palm of a large hand. With the rush in the market for 3D content, AIVL has been expanding the lab to provide 3D equipment and expertise to production companies.They use F950, Red and HDC-P1s even.

    For those with smaller pockets, the new range of camcorders do promise to be interesting stereoscopic cams. I'm not very knowledgeable about 3D production as my interest in 3D is in immersion technology, so I'll defer those who actually are designing their own systems. Even GoPros have gone 3D and I know they've used Go Pro stuff on broadcast HDTV.

    With the release of cameras like the XF105, where there is 3D sync for OIS and other functions on the cameras, I'd say manufacturers are jumping in head first.

    Edited by Drew
  4. The Advanced Imaging and Visualization Laboratory (AIVL) of WHOI have ... a 3D HD rig that fits in the palm of a large hand. They use F950, Red and HDC-P1s even.

     

    Drew,

     

    I also heard that they developed a very small rig, but clearly they are not using F950s, Reds or HDC-P1s for that palm of hand system. I was wondering if anyone knew what they were using or what might be available in that size range?

     

    Mark

  5. The Advanced Imaging and Visualization Laboratory (AIVL) of WHOI have ... a 3D HD rig that fits in the palm of a large hand. They use F950, Red and HDC-P1s even.

     

    Drew,

     

    I also heard that they developed a very small rig, but clearly they are not using F950s, Reds or HDC-P1s for that palm of hand system. I was wondering if anyone knew what they were using or what might be available in that size range?

     

    Mark

     

    We end up using a huge variety of cameras - the large rigs incorporate P-1's and Reds. The smaller rigs incorporate a series of custom sensors with remote recording capability via fiber optic and internal recording via Nanos. We also use small camera blocks that are not genlockable but we hack into them and pixel lock them. Every single rig has a tradeoff to do with size vs image quality vs fully autonomous or not... Hope this helps.

     

    Evan

  6. Evan,

     

    Your reply is much appreciated. I have been shooting and building underwater 3D rigs for 24 years and I sure know what you mean about tradeoffs! I have similarly been been looking to slave sync the crystal clock oscillators on the main boards of my Canon 5D MK II's for frame synchronous video, but have not yet found anyone to do the work. If you can suggest anyone to talk to, I would be grateful.

     

    Mark

    www.undersea3d.com

     

    We also use small camera blocks that are not genlockable but we hack into them and pixel lock them.

    Evan

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.