I just returned from Costa Rica where I had been diving the Aqualung Zuma BC for ten dives. The diving was challenging. We usually entered the water close to rocky shores from boats in large wave swells and descended into water heavily laden with particulate.If I hadn't known better, I thought I might have been diving in a snowstorm. Thermoclines were frequently encountered, visibility was severely restricted on most dives with maximum visibility being about 40 feet. Having said all that, it was a pleasure to dive and listen to Whales underwater, interact with the White-Tipped Sharks and photograph the Manta Rays when they so graced us with their presence.
Here are my observations from the ten dives.
The BC is easy to pack and dries quickly.
I had to add two pounds of weight to my usual 16 pounds of weight to compensate for the difference in weight between my Diverite Transpac and the Aqualung Zuma.
The chest strap was easy to pull off but was also easy to snap back on. It's an issue that I think Aqualung could address in a later revision of the BC.
Very easy to maintain a horizontal attitude in the water even while carrying a large heavy DSLR set up.
I attached a crotch strap to the BC to keep the BC from riding up on my torso. This made it very comfortable in the wave swell at the surface. It also helped to maintain a generous distance between my chin and the surface of the water. I did not find any discomfort with the BC trying to push me forward in the water, and in fact, found it quite easy to lean further on my back and lie on the BC at the surface while waiting for the boat to pick us up.
The inflator dump valve can take a while to deflate the BC at the start of the dive. At times it was an effort to descend. I did not think the deflator was as effective as it could have been. It was far easier to deflate the BC by using the shoulder dump valve on the right hand side. There was no effort to descend when using the the shoulder dump valve, and in fact, it felt like I was taking the express elevator down.
As the tank strap mounts far lower on the tanks, you do have to keep an eye on its position when the boat guys are changing your tanks as they are not familiar with the new tank strap concept.
The small plastic d-rings on the shoulder adjustment straps could be better implemented. I was able to hang my alternate reg off one but found them hard to locate when kitting up and removing my BC in the water prior to boarding the boat.
Weight pockets are adequate but slide in and lock firmly. You may have to come up with a few creative work-arounds If you need to use more than 20 pounds as my dive buddy found out. It might be advisable to travel with a little bit of high strength cord for makeshift dive weight lanyards should the need arise.
Other than that, I think it is a excellent BC that I will continue to use for travel purposes.