Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Any recommended settings/tips for Canon s95?

Started by surger ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Any recommended settings/tips for Canon s95?

4 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I just bought a CANON S95 with canon housing and will be using my INON D2000 with this system on my next dive trip to Indonesia.

    Very much looking forward to this trip and to testing this new setup.

     

    For my previous setup I was using the INON D2000 with manual settings and my camera on Aperture values.

     

    Does anyone have any experience with the S95 for underwater photography?

    Any particulars I should pay attention to or recommendations for settings to achieve the best results?

     

     

    For example, I'm wondering about the HD movies. Would you set the whitebalance to Underwater if you use this function?

     

    Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

  2. I cannot help you with the movie thing since I am a photographer, not a cinematographer.

     

    For photography I like to shoot in Av mode and with your S2000 you would set it to sTTL. Your other useful option is Manual mode on the camera and on the strobe.

     

    I like to turn off all "safety' functions, turn off red eye reduction, turn off the focus light, turn off the I contrast, turn of the Safety AE and safety focus features, turn the IS to Shoot Only.

     

    Set for RAW files and do your color balance in the Canon photo software delivered with the camera.

     

    Good luck with your new camera.

     

    James

  3. Thanks, James.

     

    I'm sure I'll end up playing with the settings anyway, but it's good to have a starting point.

  4. I'm wondering about the HD movies. Would you set the whitebalance to Underwater if you use this function?

     

    For videos, setting Custom White Balance, using a translucent WB dome or buddy's white or gray tanks at different depth has worked better for me than just using the camera's Underwater WB setting since the videos become too red in shallow water. YMMV!

     

    I'm a photographer and a videographer equally because I like the rich details and colors captured by the photos, and I also like seeing the movement and hearing the sound of... for example a few dozens sea lions playfully frolicking around the divers, chasing bubbles and tugging on fins - the part of diving still photos cannot fully capture. Enjoy your camera's HD feature!

    Edited by A.Y.
AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.