Think this is all getting out of hand. Sure the improvement in dive safety is always welcomed, and lets face it counting in and out is a pretty basic procedure.
But the downside is we get a dive industry that is geared towards the lowest common denominator, which in real terms impinges on our ability to take responsibility for our own safety and do the dive that we want to do.
The sad thing I, feel is that I am sure this gentleman doesn t feel his experience was worth the payout, he was just taking a punt on getting some easy money on the back of a silver tongues lawyers advice. And the only real winner at the end of the day are lawyers.
I wonder how the GBR ops managed to escape massive fines and damages due leaving multiple divers at sea over the years?
Again Australia is very litigation heavy. I remember an operator I used to work for on the GBR, getting taken to court over and over again. Other memorable lawsuits included people that had cut their hands on the oyster covered up line, but this was my favorite. The liveaboard had anchored at a permanent mooring on the reef in set up for a dive. One couple had completely ignored the briefing and swam with the current for the best part of an hour before surfacing, surprising no where near the vessel. They where pick up down current by the liveaboard vessel some 5 hours later, but the operator still ended up in court.
This sort of event reflects poorly on training agencies and divers and essentially restricts the ability of the majority of competent thinking divers to do the sort of diving they want to do. (Try doing a shallow reef dive with a 80min bottom time on the GBR now a days).
e