Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Portable HD shutoff

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Portable HD shutoff

3 posts
  1. I have a new laptop running Windows 7, 64bit. For travel backup, I use a 500 GB western digital USB portable hard drive. When I tell the laptop to disconnect the USB drive, it claims to have it disconnected but the portable HD light is still on and I can feel it humming along. I am hesitant to pull the plug on the USB drive when its still humming along. With my older desktop, the portable HD turns off - light out, stops spinning. Suggestions?

    Same question with SD card readers. One I use has a light that goes off when the older desktop (running XP) disconnects it but the system 7 laptop does not get the light turned off.

    I feel like I have to shutdown the laptop to get these items truly turned off prior to unplugging. Am I wrong or doing something wrong?

    Should I do something different? (besides those that will tell me to get a MAC :-) )

  2. Get a MA... oh.

  3. I have a WD Passport 1TB, the light also stays on (Win7 x64).

     

    Never had a problem unplugging after "Ejecting" the drive.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.