Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite Dome/Port Body not screwing together flush

Started by wobby ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite Dome/Port Body not screwing together flush

4 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I have just purchased a new Ikelite 8" dome and Superwide Port Body. Screwing the port body to the dome went smoothly, but the surfaces of the dome and port body are supposed to end up flush when fully tightened, however they did not, leaving about 1mm difference in the levels, even after using a strap wrench. I contacted Ikelite and they have said to return both parts. But then I looked at my old 8" dome (that came fully assembled with the port body) and noticed that these are not flush and have about 0.5mm difference in levels. I am off on a two week dive trip this weekend, so don't really want to send the ports back at this stage, and I had no leakage after a pool test, so assume that the seal is complete.

     

    Now my question is does anyone actually have these ports screwed together flush? Or is quite common to have this slight different in levels? And if so has anyone had a flood from this?

     

    (And I have considered trying the old port body into the new dome, but I screwed the new one in so tight, to get it flush, that I am now having difficulty unscrewing it!)

     

    Any feedback on this topic would be much appreciated.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Nigel

  2. hopefully everything worked great for your trip, I know it may be a little late, but I'm just getting started in this hobby, and ordered the the Ikelite housing, wide port and 8" dome which should be to me next wednesday and I'd be happy to check if mine does the same thing as yours.

  3. Hi,

     

    I have just purchased a new Ikelite 8" dome and Superwide Port Body. Screwing the port body to the dome went smoothly, but the surfaces of the dome and port body are supposed to end up flush when fully tightened, however they did not, leaving about 1mm difference in the levels, even after using a strap wrench. I contacted Ikelite and they have said to return both parts. But then I looked at my old 8" dome (that came fully assembled with the port body) and noticed that these are not flush and have about 0.5mm difference in levels. I am off on a two week dive trip this weekend, so don't really want to send the ports back at this stage, and I had no leakage after a pool test, so assume that the seal is complete.

     

    Now my question is does anyone actually have these ports screwed together flush? Or is quite common to have this slight different in levels? And if so has anyone had a flood from this?

     

    (And I have considered trying the old port body into the new dome, but I screwed the new one in so tight, to get it flush, that I am now having difficulty unscrewing it!)

     

    Any feedback on this topic would be much appreciated.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Nigel

     

    Hi Nigel.

     

    Whats the problem with using the old dome port and port body? At least you know it works so to speak.??

     

    I had a problem once as I changed over port bodys and unfortunately I didnt screw the super wide body in tight enough (too much tequila the night before). A small dribble came into the dome half way through the dive and ended up with a couple of drops inside the housing.

     

    I think if you screw the port body on tight and no leaks with a pool test you should be right to go. But I suggest maybe on your first dive take the housing and dome without the camera to depth and see if there is any issue. Just make sure you add some lead to the housing.

     

    Good luck.

     

    Cheers Mark

  4. Thanks for the feedback guys.

     

    All went well with the trip - no leaks, though very nervous on the first dive, fortunately just on the house reef so ready to shoot to the surface at the first sign of trouble.

     

    Mark, we haven't had a chance to get down to Byron this year, but hopefully in the New Year.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Nigel

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.