Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Aluminum Print Project

Started by asmigel ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Aluminum Print Project

7 posts
  1. I thought I would share some images from my recent, personal, aluminum print project.

    I used Image Wizards for the printing. Overall I was pretty happy with the service. Everything was very prompt.

     

    These are three (x3) large photo prints on aluminum. The size for each was 32" x 52".

    There were four finishes to choose from and I chose the least reflective finish titled White Aluminum Satin. I chose it specifically for these prints, but I really like the White Aluminum High Gloss for most underwater photographs. (An fyi, these images were taken above water and I dragged the shutter to create the blur)

    The last option I chose was the recessed frame. I liked the idea of having sheets of metal floating off the wall. It looks pretty cool with the three pieces hanging together.

     

    If anyone has any questions about the experience I'm happy to answer. After seeing Eric's aluminum prints in person I was convinced that this was the medium for displaying underwater imagery. Awesome!

     

    1066448827_7PTv8-M.jpg

    the hired dog guards the crates

     

    1066448848_byKto-M.jpg

    all prints were well protected (I think I opened this crate backwards)

     

    1066448845_oHEur-M.jpg

    hired help slacking

     

    1066448857_ZL75g-M.jpg

    2/3 through the hanging process. The last one was waaaay high up and I should have waited for a ladder spotter.

     

    1066455921_ycmh7-M.jpg

    side view of the triptych. You can see how the panels appear to float off the wall.

     

    1066455924_WQxAC-XL.jpg

    They're up! They're straight!

     

     

     

    ~Abi

  2. They look awesome!

     

    Adam

  3. Thanks Adam! I'm really happy with how they turned out.

  4. Hi Abi,

    Looking great. Did you use any upres software to prepare the images or go with the camera output? Curious what file format you provided to the Image Wizards.

     

    By the way, your guard dog looks a little too loveable to be taken seriously. ;)

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  5. Hi Steve,

     

    I used photoshop bicubic to enlarge the photos. They are three separate RAW files that I enlarged individually and gave Image Wizards three .jpg files.

    I realize now that the colors look a bit wonky and over-saturated in these photos. I guess they can only full be appreciated in person ;)

     

    It was really a learning process for me as I hadn't printed this large before and I will probably invest in some enlarging software if I do it again.

     

    That's the thing about Ridley. She lures you in with her cuteness before she strikes.

     

    ~Abi

  6. Looks awesome Abi! Fantastic concept for an image. I've stayed away from high gloss just because of glare issues when viewed from some angles, though I do like the way they bring out the color. Generally use the satin finish, except for very high key or light images where the white satin sort of shows through and desaturates the image.

    I've spent quite a bit of green with Imagewizards the last 6 months; about 20 large prints worth for exhibitions and decorating my office with my images. Not cheap, but when one considers they are ready to hang, not that bad. Provided them with 16bit TIFFS downloaded via their ftp server. No special uprezzing, with no complaints. I should have a conversation with them though on this.

    Edited by loftus
  7. Thanks!

    Woah, 20 images, that is quite a bit of green!

    Do you have any photos of the prints to share? Would love to check out how you've displayed them.

     

    ~Abi

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.