Yesterday we received a prototype of the Gates 3DA1 housing. I spent a couple hours playing with it in the store, putting the camera in it, and checking out the controls. When you first look at it, its obvious that the main shell body is nearly identical to the EX1/EX1r shell, however it is a bit longer. As of right now, I only have the flat port to test out, however Gates is working on a wide angle option. With the flat port, the FOV is approximately 50 degrees, or a tad short of that I believe. Gates has been working hard on a monitor solution for this housing, and they have come up with the solution of using their EM43 Monitor along with a necessary converter to get the proper signal out. One disappointing thing with the camera is that it will not send the Mix signal through the Video out, which makes it much easier to see if the convergence is spot on. However, I hear that a solution might be in the works when utilizing the Nano 3D...but I do not have details on that just yet.
It will be very interesting to shoot 3D underwater, learn convergence and take that into consideration when planning out shots. I have a short list of shots Id like to get tomorrow at Catalina, so wish me luck! We are working closely with Clifton Production Services in Los Angeles. They have loaned us their 3DA1 camera to use for a few days, and they will also be editing our 3D footage in hopes of getting some nice sample clips. I am also working on shooting a few shots of an RC Helicopter in action with this camera. More details to come.