A few years ago one of my photos was used on a UK postage stamp which was very satisfying and now one has been used on an Irish postage stamp too! However that it not the end of the story because the one used on the Irish postage stamp was taken when I was taking photos at the Sherkin Island Marine Station off County Cork in Ireland quite some time ago. This Marine Station is situated in one of the most marvelous places that I have ever been to (OK I'm biased) and is run by Matt Murphy who has somehow managed to fund it privately - it has some incredibly long datasets which if long term monitoring is of interest to you are well worth looking at. Now Matt is in his mid seventies and still running the station. The Irish economy is not as buoyant as it was so I'm posting to ask if anyone is interested in helping to support the station by buying a unique first day 'cover' featuring the stamp and posted from Sherkin Island on the first day of release - signed by the photographer too (I make nothing from this I do hasten to add). To contact the station go to http://www.sherkinmarine.ie/ and email for details (its not expensive). Many Thanks
- 4Posts
- 4Replies
Read-only discussion
Photo on Irish Postage Stamp
-
-
Well done Paul. It's a real honour to get an image commissioned for a stamp.
-
Brilliant Paul, well done. When will we see the stamp ?
-
Thanks Simon - I'm actually please for Matt because the marine station deserves more recognition than it often gets - I know a lot of marine scientists who were volunteers at the station and are now working in marine science. It is a 'no frills' place with immense potential for those who go there.
Hi Nigel - I think that it came out on 8-9-10 by the look of the first day cover from Sherkin that I have here. I'll try to post a pic idc.