Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Another mini-dome project

Started by casbba ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Another mini-dome project

10 posts
  1. In a previous thread I mentioned I'd had some success with a DIY mini-dome for an Ikelite housing. That port is ok for a Tokina fisheye with 1.4 TC but is a bit too long for the Tokina without a TC.

     

    So, I needed to build another mini-dome for the Tokina on its own and here's what I did. I took an old Ikelite flat port – a short one that was used for film cameras with standard 50mm lenses – not much use these days. I just needed the rear section of this port to mate with the housing, and part of the barrel.

     

    post-24764-1288403384.jpg

     

    I ordered an acrylic dome from a company that specialises in blowing domes to size. Mine needed a 4 inch outer diameter to match the barrel diameter of the Ikelite port.

     

    post-24764-1288403396.jpg

     

    I cut through the barrel of the flat port with a hacksaw, smoothed the cut edge with fine wet and dry paper, and glued the dome onto the rear portion of the barrel using acrylic cement.

     

    post-24764-1288403406.jpg

     

    The most time-consuming part was fashioning a shade. I used a short section of 4 inch diameter PVC pipe and just gradually shaped it until it didn't show up in the frame with the Tokina set to widest.

     

    post-24764-1288403414.jpg

     

    I painted the shade flat black and spot glued it to the barrel of the port using contact cement. It can still be removed if need be.

     

    post-24764-1288403427.jpg

     

    The finished product.

     

    Barry (Dupsbear) pointed out that the small 4 inch diameter of this port will probably impact on image resolution, and I may find this to be the case when I get around to using it. Unfortunately at that point I'd already ordered the dome, so decided to go ahead with the project anyway. Still, for an all-up cost of under 50 AUD, I guess I could lash out and make another one if need be.

     

    There are a couple of other mods on this housing that can be seen in the photo above. I've fixed a strip of plastic 'wood' (modwood) to the Ikelite baseplate to give the housing a firm base to sit on, and I've replaced the circular zoom control knob and aperture control knob (obscured) with Ikelite 'wing nuts' that they use to secure their handles to the baseplate. This allows very easy one finger control of zoom and aperture, even while wearing thick neoprene gloves.

  2. Nice project.

    Be interested to see how it performs.

  3. It is worth noting that these cheap domes are non-optical quality materials and manufacturer. So it will be interesting to see if that makes a visible difference to the shots, or not.

     

    Alex

  4. Yep, I couldn't agree with you more Alex. I guess for me a lot of the fun in u/w photography revolves around these little DIY projects… loads of satisfaction from making something that keeps the camera dry and gives a reasonable (while perhaps not perfect) result. It's just a hobby so I don't get too stressed about it.

     

    Anyway, I finally got around to using the little dome u/w. It didn't leak, crack or implode, so I guess that's success of sorts… for me at least!

     

    post-24764-1289344668.jpg

  5. Can You Post a link to a full sized picture? I would be interested in knowing where you aquired the dome from.

  6. Can You Post a link to a full sized picture? I would be interested in knowing where you aquired the dome from.

    PM sent

  7. I ordered an acrylic dome from a company that specialises in blowing domes to size. Mine needed a 4 inch outer diameter to match the barrel diameter of the Ikelite port.

     

    Hello!

     

    I have a project in mind and I would like to know of companies where to order domes to size...

     

    Thank you very much! :)

  8. Hello!

     

    I have a project in mind and I would like to know of companies where to order domes to size...

     

    Thank you very much! :)

     

    After lots of searching I got mine from this link EZ Tops manufacture small domes, globes etc... though as Alex pointed out since they're relatively cheap they're not going to be optical quality. Not sure that I can spot the difference, but I'm sure there are better photographers out there who could. If you did manage to source better (ie optical) quality domes made to measure I'd be interested to find out where.

  9. After lots of searching I got mine from this link EZ Tops manufacture small domes, globes etc... though as Alex pointed out since they're relatively cheap they're not going to be optical quality. Not sure that I can spot the difference, but I'm sure there are better photographers out there who could. If you did manage to source better (ie optical) quality domes made to measure I'd be interested to find out where.

     

    Thank you very much, Casbba! Your dome

     

    I guess that for marketing/economics reasons people/companies don´t share where they get their domes from... :)

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.