Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 5DmkII or 7D???

Started by gb1 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 5DmkII or 7D???

3 posts
  1. Hi all, I am a professional freelance fashion/commercial photographer and looking at getting my first underwater housing. I am looking at a more surf oriented rig as I would mainly be using it in/around the surface and could possibly see myself getting into more action shots. I own both the Canon 5DmkII and 7D cameras. My dilemma is, which one should I use in the housing!?

     

    Currently i am looking at SPL Housings, Essex and another that is custom made here in Australia.

     

    I love the 5D for stills and the full frame! I love the 7D for its 50/60p video modes and faster frame rate.

     

    I would be mainly shooting models in and around the water but also play with various action sports such as surfing and kite surfing. I would also love to be producing videos as well.

     

    I would get ports for the Canon 15mm Fisheye (for the action stuff) and the 24-70mm f2.8 (for the fashion stuff).

     

    I am after advise from experienced users as to which camera they would prefer to use out of the 5DmkII and 7D and the reasons why.

     

    Thanks for your time!

  2. Well I think you've answered your own question. The 7D is a better action camera for video and stills. the 720/60p will give you better overcranking (slomo) and the AF system is better than the 5D2. Get a lens like the Canon 8-15mm (which is APS-x compatible) or Tokina 10-17 for a bit of flexibility.

     

    With people and fashion underwater, you may with to check out the pool work stuff in the Gallery forum. I'm not the biggest fan of the 24-70. I'd rather use a prime like a 35/50/85 than the 24-70, if I wanted the best quality.

    Edited by Drew
  3. I agree w/ Drew's feedback. Would definitely stick w/ the 7D for the reasons mentioned.

    And for sure go w/ primes.

    Good luck!

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.