Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

yellow small fish?

Started by JPS ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

yellow small fish?

8 posts
  1. This one is from Tulamben, Bali. I suspect that this little fellow has made his own hole into the whatever-brown-it-is-living-material. My best guess so far is some fangblenny, but it does not seem to match into any in Allen&Steene or Lieske&Myers. Any help?

  2. Looks like a cleaner mimic, albeit a little yellower than usual. I've found the colours in Lieske and Myers a bit paler than in reality sometimes. I saw cleaner mimics both in Bali and Alor, usually poking out of sponges or discarded bottles.

    Aspidontus taeniatus

    Have a look here:

    http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSum...tus%20taeniatus

    They imitate a cleaner wrasse, and when a fish goes to get cleaned they take a chunk out of them! Nasty little critters, but clever!

    Marli

  3. Deffinately a Blenny - "Banana-split Blenny" :lol:

  4. Thanks Marli! Indeed, some of them seem to be more yellow than others, e.g. http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSum...66&what=species.

     

    Bob, just to make sure: is "banana-split" good nickname for this guy or is there a whole species of banana guys? You never know with common names... :lol:

  5. I'm not completely sure, but it may be the same blenny as this guy:

     

    DSCF1180_F.jpg

     

    ..which I've tentatively ID-ed as a Black-banded blenny (Melacanthus grammites). This one was shot at Komodo. From the angle on JPS's photo, I can't tell if his fish has the second lower black stripe or not.

     

    (And yes, that's the same fish as my "avatar" image up in the corner.)

     

    Robert Delfs

  6. I just returned from Fiji (Viti Levu - Vatu-I-Ra Channel). I haven't finished editing my images yet, but one of them looks very much like JPS's post:

     

    Fiji%20Critter.jpg

  7. Attached is the only other image I have of the little fellow. No macro lens at that time, so detail is limited.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.