Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Tiny speckling on my new Tokina Fisheye Lens

Started by Damo ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Tiny speckling on my new Tokina Fisheye Lens

11 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    Just bought a Tokina 10-17 fisheye from an on line supplier.

    I was just putting my new lens through its paces topside (havent gone under with it yet) and I noticed some tiny points of- what I would describe as- speckling on the lens coating.

    You can only see then when you look closely at the front element in broad daylight.

     

    Should I return the lens?

    I know it probably is the case that I should- but that means more messing - but I am just wondering will this effect my images?

    The lens works perfectly and the images look fine on my monitor.

     

    Any thoughts would be appreciated

    Thanks guys/gals.

  2. Maybe a silly question, but have you tried cleaning it?

  3. Not a silly question at all mi amigo,

     

    To answer- yes- -I did- and.... No joy.

    I have several lenses in my arsenal- some were bought second hand.

    None of them have this speckling- which I can only put down to something happening in the Tokina factory.

    I only have the lens a few days- it took me to bring it into daylight to really see the flaws.

    Edited by Damo
  4. Send it back. Unless of course you were sold it as a defected item, which I am sure you were not.

     

    Stew

  5. Thanks guys,

     

    Could I ask anyone out there a big favour?

    Could anyone who owns this lens send me a (lo file size) close up photo of the front element of the lens i.e. a direct head on shot, and maybe one of the front element taken at a 45 degree angle? I just want to compare yours with the one I bought.

     

    Please send to me off list.

     

    Thank you so much

  6. Here's a pic I took of my supposedly new Tokina Fisheye tonite.

     

    For all you tokina lens owners- what do you think?

    post-18600-1289425837.jpg

  7. Damo,

    The exterior of my glass is absolutely spotless and cyrstal clear. The silver speckling on the interior shows up on my lens too. Guessing it's supposed to be there. It appears on the two inner rings and not on the blacker outer anti reflective ring.

     

    What did you use to try and clean your glass?

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  8. Here's a pic I took of my supposedly new Tokina Fisheye tonite.

     

    For all you tokina lens owners- what do you think?

     

    Ask and ye shall receive. This lens is four years old so there's a few specks in the coating.

    _DSC2992.jpg

  9. Thanks a mill Chris my man!

     

    As a general comment- speckling like this in small amounts- do you guys think it can manifest itself in the final images?

    At mo' I cant see it.

     

    Just curious- and again-thanks to all who have taken time to reply to me.

     

    Dam

  10. I think you're just fine. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

    Chris

    Thanks a mill Chris my man!

     

    As a general comment- speckling like this in small amounts- do you guys think it can manifest itself in the final images?

    At mo' I cant see it.

     

    Just curious- and again-thanks to all who have taken time to reply to me.

     

    Dam

  11. If that was my lens, I would send it back. It looks like a defective coating that could get worse in the future. I am just guessing, but again, that is my opinion. YMMV

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.