Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

San Diego Diving this Sat.

Started by james ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

San Diego Diving this Sat.

6 posts
  1. Hi Gang,

     

    I'll be down in San Diego for Thanksgiving and I'm planning to diving on Friday or Saturday (or both!) of this week. Anyone and everyone is invited along for some great diving and I'd be happy to swap digital tips, etc.

     

    I'm booking a spot on the Lois Anne out of Mission Bay to the local wrecks and kelp. Friday has a trip the th Yukon, Ruby E (Great dive!!), and Kelp Beds. Sat has Yukon and 2 Kelp dives.

     

    Here are a few shots that I took last year when Eric and I dove the Lois Ann to the Coronados:

     

    The Lois Ann

    DSCF3091.thumb.jpg

     

    A sea lion investigates Eric's strobe

    DSCF2989_1.jpg

     

    Gorgonians

    DSCF2924_1.jpg

     

    Garibaldis and eel grass

    DSCF2947_1.jpg

     

    This was my first trip shooting all manual and I got a lot of good tips and pointers from Eric. So it's time to "pass it on" if anyone else would like to join up this year.

     

    Here is a link to the boat's website: http://www.loisann.com/ Post here or email me for details.

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. James,

    I really like your Garibaldis under surf shot, it looks like a great shot/idea to work on. It's just beautifully simple, there's impact, movement and the coloUr combination is spot on. I love it!

     

    What do you think?

     

    Regards

    Paul P

  3. Hi Paul,

     

    Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you like the shot. I really wish you could have been there to see it.

     

    I only captured about 50% of what I wanted in this one. It was a splendid scene with the sunrays arching in through the surf, and great surge. The eelgrass was swooping back and forth in waves. The Garibaldis are very playful and were flitting back and forth looking for snacks.

     

    If I could do it again, I would have shot at a faster speed to try to get some rays. I would have also tried to get in closer as I was using a 14mm lens on the S2.

     

    I'm going to go back to the RAW file now that you've mentioned it and see if I can bring out some more of the light in the eel grass and the bubbles.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. I'm going to go back to the RAW file now that you've mentioned it and see if I can bring out some more of the light in the eel grass and the bubbles. 

     

    Cheers

    James

    James....I thought you were going back there this weekend?

     

    Well if I was there James I would be pinching your idea for myself! :)

     

    Although I do not see what you saw when you took the picture :rolleyes: , I like the picture because it is nice and simple, too much detail may become distracting.

     

    PauP

     

    My UK diving has now drawn to a close for the winter... hence all my recent postings.

  5. How did your weekend go then James?

     

    Paul P

  6. Hi Paul,

     

    Did 2 chilly dives on Saturday, one on the HMS Yukon and one on the collapsed navy research tower. Photo conditions were VERY challenging, but I shot one wideangle and one macro (105mm) dive. It'll take me a while to work through them though as they were all shot in RAW.

     

    I had a blast!

     

    Cheers

    James

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.