Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Does anyone make an iPhone housing

Started by offthegrid ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Does anyone make an iPhone housing

9 posts
  1. Where you can actually use the camera and that will go below snorkeling depths?

     

    Yeah, I know it's not a real camera, and you wouldn't use it for any professional work, but you can get some decent quality stuff out of the iPhone 4. It has it's uses, and it fits in a pocket.

     

    The iDive really seems to be the only housing for it, but only allows iPod controls.

     

    Only those bag style things, that can only got to about 20' let you use the camera.

  2. Only Ewa-Marine as far as I know.

  3. Are you sure about that?

    Have you actually used it or know anyone who has.

     

    The description on the site is a little vague, but it looks as though it's either rated for 300'!

    Or just meant to keep water and sand out, and not even used for diving.

  4. The bag might be good for 300' but whether you i-phone gets crushed is another matter. I strongly suspect there won't be enough light to use it below 20' anyway.

     

    I see what you are trying to achieve but you would be far better off with a cheap compact imo.

  5. The bag might be good for 300' but whether you i-phone gets crushed is another matter.
    Very good point, which is why I'd really prefer a "real" housing.

     

    I strongly suspect there won't be enough light to use it below 20' anyway.
    Did I forget to update my location? Not in NJ anymore. I think especially in video mode you could go much deeper and have enough light, if you're diving in clear water. Remember I'm not expecting professional results.

     

    I see what you are trying to achieve but you would be far better off with a cheap compact imo.
    Nah, I'm a bum on a boat. Last thing I need is another toy aboard. It's all about versatility/multi use items. I may try fabbing something.
  6. FYI - Just got a response. The Ewa-Marine recommends only about 10' max on their housing, even less than the others.

  7. Check out Otter casesOtter cases

     

    Not sure if the iPhone cases are UW. but I got one for an iPod Nano that I use to swim laps with.

  8. They were the first ones I looked at. Even the GIANT iPhone case isn't even waterproof, let alone submersible.

     

    But one of the small plane cases, may work for a DIY housing, or at least a first prototype.

     

    Only rated for 100', but under $20 too.

  9. I've got the iDive 300 and can confirm itunes controls only; no camera or touch screen so apps are out too. I've only dived it with the iphone 3G, but expect a 4 will fit in it without issues.

     

    Doesn't really help you for camera use, but it's a great ways to pass a few hours of deco.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.