Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

TSA to allow Extra Carry on Photo Bag

Started by JackConnick ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

TSA to allow Extra Carry on Photo Bag

11 posts
  1. New TSA Allowance!

     

    I think the airlines will need to follow suit. Check with your carrier(s), maybe post replies here for others.

     

    One report on Rodales that US Air will allow it.

     

    Jack

  2. Late last week I e-mailed US Airways in response to TSA's declaration whereby TSA would be allowing one extra carry-on bag of photography gear through the screening gate. I asked US Airways whether I would be allowed this extra carry-on bag of photography equipment during my upcoming flight with them. It certainly appears they'll be allowing this extra bag. Here's their response, which I also posted on Rodales:

     

    Thank you for contacting US Airways.

     

    US Airways has increased the free carryon baggage allowance. Customers may carry on the following items as part of their fee baggage allowance

     

    1 CARRYON BAG

    1 PERSONAL ITEM

    1 BAG OF DUTY FREE GOODS

    1 BAG CONTAINING PHOTOGRAPHIC EQUIPMENT.

     

    We look forward to assisting you with your future travel plans.

    US Airways Reservations

     

    "USAirwaysOnline.com" on 11/22/2003

    06:05:53 AM

     

     

    Delta has reportedly changed their carry-on policy also.

  3. I'm working closely with the airlines to now allow 1 free sherpa to carry all this stuff. Now that would be a great announcement.LOL

     

    Sir, we need more room in the overhead compartment can you store your sherpa under the seat in front of you... :rolleyes:

  4. Todd, that's an excellent idea. Do you have any idea where we can get a Sherpa that is no larger than 14"x9"x22"?

     

    :rolleyes:

  5. How about some pygmy seasherpa's :rolleyes:

  6. I welcome the third bag because of an experience during a recent trip. Going to Grand Cayman in September was routine. I have been able to get the essentials into a backpack for carry-on (camera, C-card, etc.)

     

    We learned about a new TSA rule when we checked in to fly home: batteries are not allowed in checked luggage.

     

    What a shocker! I carry a lot of rechargable batteries (camera, strobe, divelights for two people). After digging out of the checked bag, I had a challenge getting the batteries into the already-stuffed backpack.

     

    Of course, the airlines will probably try to charge us for the extra space and weight.

  7. Do you have any idea where we can get a Sherpa...

    It's called a W-I-F-E. Preferably one who's younger and still has a strong back.

     

    :rolleyes:

  8. We learned about a new TSA rule when we checked in to fly home: batteries are not allowed in checked luggage.

    Has anyone else had a problem with batteries in checked luggage? I usually pack my rechargeable AA's in checked luggage. The most recent TSA bulletin on prohibited/permitted items is dated 11-18-03, but it doesn't mention anything about batteries.

     

    http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/P..._11_18_2003.pdf

  9. I had just the opposite experience on my last trip to Cozumel, I had to take all of my batteries out of my carryon and put them in my checked luggage. Couldn't keep them in my lights either, they had to be separate from any electrical device.

  10. I've never had a problem carrying batteries, but if they keep letting people carry more and more crap into the cabin, they're going to have to figure out a way to give them more places to stow it. Most people I see put everything into the overhead bin so they don't have to keep anything by their feet. Sucks being the last one on the plane. Maybe each seat should have a bin underneath it, too . . .

  11. FYI, i asked Continental what their policy is on this new rule. Current position is that they will not be allowing the 3rd carryon.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.