Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Getting into the groove

Started by CamDiver ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Getting into the groove

5 posts
  1. So I try to check into the local surf spot as often as possible. I'm comfortable on this beach and know the wave. Not trying to set the World alight but just enjoying my time in the Ocean. Gotta take a camera though...

     

    Happy to finally get my first looking out of the tube shot. OK, so now I just need to shuffle the beach about 60 degrees to be able to get the sun in the exit hole.

    Tuber.jpg

     

    The classic surfer through the wave shot revisited. My second attempt, waiting for the third.

    DuckDiver.jpg

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    P.S I post most of the shots to my facebook page under the same name as the watermark here.

  2. OK, so now I just need to shuffle the beach about 60 degrees to be able to get the sun in the exit hole.

     

    :) Good luck with that Mark!

    Nice shots!

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  3. Love your images Mark.

     

     

    How do you get these, are you free swimming? I'm trying my best to think of how you can get in these waves without being picked up and dumped, or do you!

     

    All this and a camera and housing?!

  4. Yup, free swimming with a housing and camera, albeit a very basic surf housing. Good to 10m if I need to duck dive to dodge a pounding. These shots are cropped from a Canon 500D using a 10-22mm at 10mm so I was close into the action. There is a fine line between an almost turbulent free experience and getting absolutely slammed. It's all about finding that point. You will get slammed at times, it hurts but you learn from it. I'm also kitted out with Helmet, safety vest and also looking at getting a version of Spare Air that has been developed with this and other surf sport photographers in mind.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  5. Yup, free swimming with a housing and camera, albeit a very basic surf housing. Good to 10m if I need to duck dive to dodge a pounding. These shots are cropped from a Canon 500D using a 10-22mm at 10mm so I was close into the action. There is a fine line between an almost turbulent free experience and getting absolutely slammed. It's all about finding that point. You will get slammed at times, it hurts but you learn from it. I'm also kitted out with Helmet, safety vest and also looking at getting a version of Spare Air that has been developed with this and other surf sport photographers in mind.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

     

    love that looking out the tube shot

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.