Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D100 Question

Started by jimbo1946 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

D100 Question

5 posts
  1. With my D100, I generally use single servo autofocus (S). I usually get good results with "S" both underwater and topside. The D100 manual lists a number of autofocus options. One of these is AF-Area Mode (p. 65 in the English manual). Does anyone have any experience with the dynamic-area AF, and if so, does it have much application for U/W? Also, for dynamic-area AF, there is an option called Closest Subject Priority.

     

    I'm clueless! Thanks for any information.

     

    Jim

  2. RE closest subject priority: most people turn it off. It slows the focus way down.

     

    RE dynamic-area AF mode - use it if you don't mind the camera choosing what it focuses on. :-)

     

    AF-area allows you to tell the camera which focus point to use. That's what I do. Center on subject area you want in focus, half press shutter or hit AF-lock, then recompose.

     

    S-servo is good if you want the camera to get a focus lock before it fires. It's annoying if the camera can't get a focus lock though - no shot for you!

     

    Continuous will fire off a shot anytime the button is fully pressed. This is good if you have a big DOF for shooting fast moving WA subjects.

     

    That's my 2cents

     

    Cheers,

    James

  3. Continuous will fire off a shot anytime the button is fully pressed. This is good if you have a big DOF for shooting fast moving WA subjects

     

    Also useful for moving subjects (i.e. sea lions, sharks) is autofocus with focus tracking - set to C and choose dynamic. Once the camera is focused on a subject it will continue to try and track that subject as it moves. This is also excellent for sports photography topside.

     

    Regards,

  4. Also useful for moving subjects (i.e. sea lions, sharks) is autofocus with focus tracking - set to C and choose dynamic. Once the camera is focused on a subject it will continue to try and track that subject as it moves. This is also excellent for sports photography topside.

     

    For smaller subjects, it can drive you insane :):rolleyes:

  5. I think the jury is in. I'll keep shooting in "S" with no options.

     

    I really appreciate the information!

     

    :rolleyes:

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.