Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New kit - budget constrained, spend $$ on better WA lens or better Focus light?

Started by Byte Me ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

New kit - budget constrained, spend $$ on better WA lens or better Focus light?

3 posts
  1. OK, I'm a couple steps away from picking up a new above and underwater camera rig. All that's left is selling the old u/w rig, and make one (or two 03.gif ) final choices on the new kit.

     

    I'm heavily leaning to the Olympus E-PL1 and Oly housing, Macro adapter and Oly / Inon wet macro lens, Zen port for either the Panny 7-14 OR Oly 9-18. Also looking to add a focus / video light to my existing Inon D2000 strobe.

     

    So here's the question - do I get the Panny 7-14 over the Oly 9-18 wide angle lens, with which I get a wider and arguably better lens

     

    OR

     

    Spend the ~$300+ difference in lens price on a better focus / video light. (Looking for light suggestions as well) For example, LIM Sola 1200 / 600 or Mangrove VC-2L6? Or get the Oly lens and go with one of these for focus light? Sola 500, Big Blue 3x5 or iTorch video. Goal is to use the focus/video light for both purposes so a fairly bright light with ability to click the power down would be ideal.

     

    Diving is split between Caribbean and green murky inland WI and Great Lakes.

     

    Thanks!

     

    Brian.

  2. OK, I'm a couple steps away from picking up a new above and underwater camera rig. All that's left is selling the old u/w rig, and make one (or two 03.gif ) final choices on the new kit.

     

    I'm heavily leaning to the Olympus E-PL1 and Oly housing, Macro adapter and Oly / Inon wet macro lens, Zen port for either the Panny 7-14 OR Oly 9-18. Also looking to add a focus / video light to my existing Inon D2000 strobe.

     

    So here's the question - do I get the Panny 7-14 over the Oly 9-18 wide angle lens, with which I get a wider and arguably better lens

     

    OR

     

    Spend the ~$300+ difference in lens price on a better focus / video light. (Looking for light suggestions as well) For example, LIM Sola 1200 / 600 or Mangrove VC-2L6? Or get the Oly lens and go with one of these for focus light? Sola 500, Big Blue 3x5 or iTorch video. Goal is to use the focus/video light for both purposes so a fairly bright light with ability to click the power down would be ideal.

     

    Diving is split between Caribbean and green murky inland WI and Great Lakes.

     

    Thanks!

     

    Brian.

    Better glass is always (to me) the first choice. As for focus lights, I am a bit confused by your thoughts. The only focus light that I know about from L&M is the Sola 600; if there is a Sola 1200 it seems to be a secret. They have 1200 video lights but those aren't focus lights. The Sola 600 is $600 or so. Of the rest, I have the I-torch video and it is great. Not quite as light weight as the Sola but still very very nice.

     

    Bill

  3. Better glass is always (to me) the first choice. As for focus lights, I am a bit confused by your thoughts. The only focus light that I know about from L&M is the Sola 600; if there is a Sola 1200 it seems to be a secret. They have 1200 video lights but those aren't focus lights. The Sola 600 is $600 or so. Of the rest, I have the I-torch video and it is great. Not quite as light weight as the Sola but still very very nice.

     

    Bill

     

    Bill,

     

    Thanks! I'll have to look in to that I-torch light.

     

    I heard about the Sola 1200 talking to the guys at Reef last week. It's more of a video light than focus but could be used for both since you can dial down the power to 500 lumens. I think they mentioned it would be debuted at DEMA this week.

     

    http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=5056

     

    That being said - I've always heard you can't go wrong investing in better glass, just wasn't sure if the addl ~$300 the 7-14 costs over the 9-18 is justified or if I should invest that in something else.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.