I'd really like to cut down on the amount of gear I bring. Bringing 100 pounds plus of gear onto a puddle jumper is a pain. I finally no longer have to have 50 rolls of film hand inspected at security and would really like to cut the burden down even more. I'm getting too old I guess. I have a Tokina 10-17, a Nikon 60mm macro and a nikon 105mm macro. I have an 8 inch dome and a flat port. I understand that I would be losing some magnification for macro, but the cropped sensor makes up for some of that. I would have to be carefull about jamming my acrylic dome into coral when getting close, but I have to be wary of that with the 10-17 also. Other things that may be a problem are lighting and getting into tight spaces. Has anyone used an 8 inch dome for macro? Will it affect picture quality in any way? Is it more of a pain to use the dome or to lug the heavy metal and glass flat port a few thousand miles?
John
Yes,
No problems image wise.
Hard to maneuver around and easy to get scratched.
Mini domes work great. Better optics than a flat port.
Yes,
No problems image wise.
Hard to maneuver around and easy to get scratched.
Mini domes work great. Better optics than a flat port.
Thanks.
So, do you use just a dome or have you just tried it? Can't afford a minidome right now.
I'd really like to cut down on the amount of gear I bring. Bringing 100 pounds plus of gear onto a puddle jumper is a pain. I finally no longer have to have 50 rolls of film hand inspected at security and would really like to cut the burden down even more. I'm getting too old I guess. I have a Tokina 10-17, a Nikon 60mm macro and a nikon 105mm macro. I have an 8 inch dome and a flat port. I understand that I would be losing some magnification for macro, but the cropped sensor makes up for some of that. I would have to be carefull about jamming my acrylic dome into coral when getting close, but I have to be wary of that with the 10-17 also. Other things that may be a problem are lighting and getting into tight spaces. Has anyone used an 8 inch dome for macro? Will it affect picture quality in any way? Is it more of a pain to use the dome or to lug the heavy metal and glass flat port a few thousand miles?
John
I used the Sigma 17-70 in a 6-1/2" dome. Aside from the care you mentioned, works very well. I now have the Bare dome (~4+") for the 10-17 and the 10-17 + 1.4 TC. This small dome also works for the Sig 17-70 and 28-80. I have not tried the 60 & 105 lenses, but I bet ya' a Billy Goat Tavern cheesebuger & Pepsi that it will work fine.
Bob
Nah...
... anything other than a mini-dome is going to push out the strobes and make good lighting more difficult, not to mention dome damage dilemmas. If weight is critical and you're leaving mid-range zooms at home, I'd go with a mini-dome and a flat port.
Tim
I have done it with a 6" dome.
You can get older smaller domes on e bay. They are nice as backups. I have cracked big domes twice. I mention the mini domes because they will fit in your carry on and can be adapted to shoot macro.
I have done it with a 6" dome.
You can get older smaller domes on e bay. They are nice as backups. I have cracked big domes twice. I mention the mini domes because they will fit in your carry on and can be adapted to shoot macro.
Sounds like the mini domes are quite popular. I'll have to put it on my wish list and watch ebay. A new one for 700 bucks for my Aquatica is just not in the cards right now. I'll use the money for a dive trip. For now I'll stick with the flat and 8 inch dome. Weight is not critical, I'm just getting lazy. Thanks for all the input, makes my decision easy.
Deep6: Glenview Huh? Hi neighbor. I grew up in Wilmette and spent lots of time in Glenview.
John
Deep6: Glenview Huh? Hi neighbor. I grew up in Wilmette and spent lots of time in Glenview.
John
rvpJohn,
A big howdy back. My wife and I just moved to Glenview about 5 years ago.
Bob
I have not invested in the macro port yet. So I take all my photos with an 8'' Dome.
I am happy with the result with the 60mm Nikon. Although the dome shade helps a lot not to scratch the dome...
You can see a few results on my website celiaxel.eu, in particular the photos taken in Sipadan.
I have not invested in the macro port yet. So I take all my photos with an 8'' Dome.
I am happy with the result with the 60mm Nikon. Although the dome shade helps a lot not to scratch the dome...
You can see a few results on my website celiaxel.eu, in particular the photos taken in Sipadan.
Those shots are fantastic. Hmmm, now I have to rethink. 3 lenses, housing, one port, 2 strobes and memory cards, compact camera for topside, wetsuit, mask and fins and an extra pair of underwear. Rent dive gear. Leave the laptop, big strobe, macro port. One carry on and one checked bag. Next trip is Bonaire, so if I need anything I should be able to get it. Except maybe another port. It'll take some serious willpower to leave stuff at home though. Now my GF tells me she wants to try uw photography. That means I cant use her luggage to stash all my stuff.
What are you using for your wide angle shots?
Those shots are fantastic. Hmmm, now I have to rethink. 3 lenses, housing, one port, 2 strobes and memory cards, compact camera for topside, wetsuit, mask and fins and an extra pair of underwear. Rent dive gear. Leave the laptop, big strobe, macro port. One carry on and one checked bag. Next trip is Bonaire, so if I need anything I should be able to get it. Except maybe another port. It'll take some serious willpower to leave stuff at home though. Now my GF tells me she wants to try uw photography. That means I cant use her luggage to stash all my stuff.
What are you using for your wide angle shots?
Thanks !
I use the Tokina 10-17. I got a bit frustrated with it recently in Polynesia as I was not able to get close enough for the sharks to fill the frame... Next time I go for the sharks I will try the Nikon 10-24 (or stop breathing...)
The only reason to leave a flat port at home is if you aren't going to shoot macro.
Something gets compromised, else no one would use both. I've used a dome for macro and hated it. I've used a 6" dome for wide angle and thought it inferior.
Just pack the port in a checked bag. Throw something else out.
I have a flat port for my DX cameras. I never got round to getting a flat port for my Hugyfot FX housing and the 60mm seems to work fine behind the dome. You have to be circumspect about the position of the strobes though.