Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon G5 - several issues

Started by Herten ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon G5 - several issues

6 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    Still in search for a camera for outdoor and u/w use. I was seriously thinking of the Canon Powershot S50, but the 30m. limitation of the housing is unacceptable for me (I need at least 40m.). Now I'm thinking of the following setup :

     

    - Canon Powershot G5

    - Ikelite housing (#6143)

     

    After reading many reviews, following issues seem to really be a problem :

    - viewfinder coverage blocked by the lens, thus needing to often use the LCD screen instead. Now how does it go with the housing, is it possible to shoot using the LCD screen underwater ?

    - Lens barrel causing a shadow on the lower right corner on photos taken at wide angle.

    - chromatic aberrations appearing especially on high contrast photos (the review at digideep.com shows examples of it)

    - lens cap falling off easily (although there's a tether, so it seems not possible to lose it, but ?)

     

    When I look at all the upper issues as well as the G5 high price, I'm wondering why this camera is so popular, since many people told me that this camera rocks and bought it despite its known issues...

     

    And I really need to be sure before investing about $1200 US in a camera and housing...

    So what's your opinion ?

    Thank you

    Herten

  2. Hi Herten,

     

    The G5 is a high end "point and shoot" consumer digicam. That means that it is going to have ALL of the issues you pointed out in your post, just as any camera in that category would have.

     

    You must use the LCD screen for composition as the viewfinder is tiny and is not "through the lens" anyhow. The LCD works fine underwater, and if you are in bright light with glare, there are add-on hoods that can help.

     

    I wouldn't worry about the lens cap. You can get a neoprene one if you're worried about it falling off but I wouldn't worry.

     

    You will get C.A. in high contrast areas, and also because you are shooting through a flat port.

     

    You will not be able to use the camera's internal flash to take photos of anything over about 1 foot away, so don't worry about the flash being blocked by the lens barrel on wide angle shots. It's a moot point because you won't be able to use that flash for wide angle shots anyhow... You'll need an external strobe of some sort.

     

    Be advised that you will have all of these issues to contend with, as well as the "shutter lag" which is present in all consumer digital cameras. Despite this, you will be able to get some EXCELLENT shots.

     

    The G5 is a really excellent camera for topsides shooting, but I would urge you to also look into some of the cameras that are more popular for underwater shooting, like the Coolpix 5000 and the Olympus 5050.

     

    Hope this helps,

    James

  3. Hi James,

     

    Thanks a lot for your reply and useful info.

     

    Still a question about the flash (sorry I'm rather a newbie here) : if I understood correctly what you said, when shooting subjects at a certain distance (let's say 1-2 feet away from me and beyond), the "flash blocked by the lens barrel" issue won't be a problem, right. Ok, now if I want to take a photo of a close subject (not at macro mode yet but almost, or well also in macro), how will the flash behave with the barrel blocking its light in lower right corner ?

     

    Another question : how much space does a photo take in RAW format on the G5 (largest resolution) ?

     

    I had previously looked at the Olympus 5050z (and a little bit at the Nikon 5400), but still I prefer Canon's image quality overall, personally. And I must say I've been a bit influenced by friends of mine who already own various Canon models, and all said they were happy with it, at least for topside photos (as they don't dive...). That's why I also wanted feedback on the Canon G5 and its issues from people who regularly use it underwater.

  4. After I flooded my Sony DSC-P9, I switched to Canon G5, despite having all the accessories for the P9 (the value is good enough to stick to another Sony), and despite noting the popularity and support you get for the Oly5050 for underwater use.

     

    Top site, am very happy with it. I recently bought an Ikelite housing. Still exploring the choices of strobe, arms, to go with it. One thing I really wanted but still can't figure out nor get any advice on is how to hot wired the Ikelite to the strobe - what parts do I need and where I can get them from.

     

    Anyway, I can't comment much on underwater use as I have not taken it diving yet due to the monsoon/rainy season over here.

  5. Motz,

     

    What made you choose a G5 instead of a popular Olympus 5050z or even staying at Sony ?

  6. No hard and fast rule, mainly personal choice. :rolleyes:

     

    I had wanted a Canon soon after G2 came out. Also looking at the difference between my Sony P9 (4MP)'s and my colleague's great printout using his Canon S40 (4MP) then. Positive feedback from G2 users as well, mostly friends. I had another Sony F55v (3.2MP; Japan market only) before. Prior to all that I have (still do) the Canon (film) SLR 1000N. B)

     

    I read reviews after reviews after G5 came out, again, despite the popularity of the Oly5050 in diving community, I chose G5, eventhough my main purpose is for underwater use, hence the Ikelite housing, the rest following - there goes my savings!!.

     

    Having said all that, do check out the new Oly5060. You'll soon get support/feedback once it becomes popular, which can be very handy in shortening the learning curve.

     

    Confuse? :) Go feel the camera, check the housing, get comfortable and choose either one and have fun, unless you're serious about turning PRO.

     

    Just my two cents worth.

     

    P/S: One more thing, moving from the little Sony P9 housing (which can be easily hooked to BC) to the Ikelite, I believe, will be a big change in terms of handling etc. I'll find out soon. :freak:

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.