Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

More info about a Universal DSLR housing

Started by NWDiver ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

More info about a Universal DSLR housing

3 posts
  1. Given I have put off my D7000 order to see what else comes out in the next year I have been looking at housings. Still very intrigued by the idea of a Universal Housing so have been emailing the folks in Italy, Easydive; http://www.easydive.eu/eng/leo.php Fabio Benvenuti has been kind enough and very promptly answer my questions. I don’t speak Italian and Fabio has been kind enough to respond in English but I have paraphrased his answers here and may have made mistakes in guessing at his meaning.

     

    1. Do you intend to make a larger dome port in the 200mm range? I think for many shooting WA this has become very important.

    Yes, we think we will have one in 2-3months

     

    2. When will programming be available for the D7000?

    We think the firmware will be ready in about 20days

     

    3. Can you use the Tokina 10-17mm and the Sigma 17-70mm HSM lenses with your housing?

    Yes, we have zoom gears for both

    4. For those who wish to shoot with more than two strobes what bulkheads do you suggest?

    2 Nikonos bulkheads

     

    5. What is the warranty on the electronics? (Housing is lifetime)

    3yrs for manufacturer defects

     

    6. What is the cost for “stirrups” for different camera bodies (I think of stirrups as base plates)

    About 200 for the plate and update the firmware

     

    7. If I want to use multiple cameras in one housing what back do you suggest?

    Any but the Competition that has buttons for specific bodies

     

    8. What is the finish on the camera?

    Anodized

     

    9. Is the housing negatively or positively buoyant?

    Depends, with the dome port and 10.5mm lens it is “slightly positive”. With the 105 and flatport “slightly negative”.

     

    10. Return Policy?

    10 days as long as it is not dove.

     

    11. Do the handles and controller come off?

    Handles yes, controller no

     

    12. If in the field can I carry an extra controller and replace it on my own.

    No

     

    13. Can controllers be updated over the internet?

    No, just send the electronic “inside” the housing for firmware upgrades

     

    14. (I probably did not word this well so here is my question and his answer verbatim)

    If I have the stirrup (base plate) for a D300 and D700 can I use both cameras in the same housing with the same controller?

    If you buy many firmware you can use with only one housing and only one electronic many model of camera without problem. The electronic automatically the camera you use.

     

    15. Delivery Time?

    2 weeks, again 2-3 months for large dome port

     

    Pricing In Euros/US$

    Leo Housing for Nikon D7000 or D700 1980/2692

    (with the Competition Back)

    Flat Port for 60mm 240/326

    Dome, “plexiglass” 440/598

    Dome “Glass” 900/1224

    Extension 30 160/217

    Ring Nut for Zoom Lens 90/122

    2nd Control for video Function D7000 490/667

    2 Carbon Arms, 75cm 380/516

    Stirrups (base plate), firmware updates 200/272

     

    So there you go. Would be great to get other questions or thoughts on things I have not considered, sure there are many, lol. Not sure this is the route I will go but again I like the Idea of it.

    Edited by NWDiver
  2. Its really only intended for liveview or video isnt it? The backplate doesnt even have an eyepiece for the viewfinder in the pictures I can see.

     

    Unless it was one of the highspeed cameras in liveview like the Sony A55, that would be a pretty big compromise for stills I think.

     

    Otara

  3. I let Fabio know I was posting here so he may add in. But I think since the back is acrylic you can have an eyepiece added, I believe I saw one with a 45 degree viewfinder mounted in it.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.