Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Camera in Papua New Guinea

Started by layne ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Camera in Papua New Guinea

2 posts
  1. This will be my first post to this forum,

     

    I searched for an answer and didn't really come up with anything, so maybe I am just not familiar with the search tool on this sight, or maybe it is a topic not commonly discussed. If there are already a thousand threads discussing this topic, then I apologize.

     

    I am a support missionary in Papua New Guinea and Just two days ago, I lost my camera. cry.gifcry.gif

     

    it was an old 7Mp Sony point and shoot, with a very streamline plastic case that was not much bigger then the camera itself. The camera was not really that great, and the pictures were low quality even for a point and shoot, but the thing was indestructible in that case. back when I was in the US I used to take the thing wake-boarding, it has been to the tops of mountains, to the bottom of a volcano, and everywhere in between. It was only rated to 10 feet, but I would take it with me free diving and would regularly take it down to 50' and it never got a leak. I would let 2 year olds play with it and it just kept going. Well I certainly got my money out of it, but now it is floating somewhere in the south pacific.

     

    So now I am at the point where I need to get a replacement, and I thought that underwater photographers would be the best knowledge base to appeal to.

     

    I don't want to just get one of the newer "tough" point and shoot cameras because every one of those that guys have brought over, regardless of the manufacturer, has failed due to a leak. They might be tough, but for Papua New Guinea, they are not tough enough. Even if a manufacturer will stand behind their product, I am at the ends of the earth, I can't be sending a camera back and forth like I could in the states. besides, they only go down to 30' which I would forget, and then take to 50' and that would be the camera. If I get a camera I want to get a waterproof hard case to put it in, like I had before.

     

    I have been looking at the Olympus PT 048 housing with an Olympus Tough 6020, but I can't really tell how big the housing is, and I am curious to know if there is a better option.

     

    I am looking for suggestions for a streamlined point and shoot waterproof housing to replace/upgrade on the one I lost.

     

    1. affordable: I am a missionary, so lets face it, I left the big wallet back in the states and can't really spend more then 400$

    2. durability: if it was the greatest camera and case in the world, but it broke the second week here, then I am back where I started.

    3. Streamlined: I used to clip the old camera to my belt with a carabiner and take it everywhere I want a case that is not much bigger then the camera, so I can still take it everywhere. Perhaps if the camera is tough I can leave it out of the case for day to day use. and then streamlined becomes slightly less important.

    4. Picture quality: it would be nice if I could get better quality pictures then I got with my 4 year old camera, and if 1,2 and 3 are met, I would like to maximize picture quality.

     

    obviously there are pros and cons, and there is no one right answer, but if there are other underwater housings that come to mind aside from the PT 048 (which is the only reasonable one I have found) I would love to hear about them and do some more research.

  2. My hubby lived there 2 years and had an Olympus Tough which he put through some hard knocks, both underwater, as well as through muddy forests and climbing Mt. Wilhelm. It stood up to all the elements except for finally being thiefed out of his car by some longfingered rascols at the YC parkinglot of all places. I got him that camera especially with the same considerations in mind: should be small and tough, which it is. However, it has some drawbacks. You cannot set aperture or shutterspeed manually. Its not the camera you'd pick for superior picture quality. But if your goal is to have a small durable affordable mud and water resistant camera to create memories from your time in some occasionally rough conditions, I'd still agree it is a good choice.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.