Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Zen minidome for Hugyfot

Started by Udo van Dongen ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Zen minidome for Hugyfot

7 posts
  1. Hi All,

    Within three weeks i'll be in Thailand and i thought that before i leave i want to have a Zen minidome on my Hugyfot D200 housing. I want to use it with the Tokina 10-17 mm FE, but the problem is that the Zen does not exist with a Hugyfot mount. So in order to get things going i have an offer for a Zen minidome with Subal Type III mount and an adapter to mount a Subal type III port to a Hugyfot housing. The thickness of the adapter will be between 12 and 15 mm. has anyone used this combination? Does anyone know where the focuspoint or nodal point of the Zen minidome is and can i get sharp corner to corner photos if the lens is stopped down to, let's say, f/11-14?

     

    cheers, Udo

  2. I found this from Unterwasserkamera:

     

    http://www.unterwasserkamera.at/shop/catal...-n-hugyfot.html

     

    On topic it says that Zen is for Hugyfot but in details Hugyfot is not mentioned. Maybe it´s worth asking.

     

    By the way what´s the difference between Zen and Hugyfot Wide Angle Port - L 50 / D 128?

  3. I found this from Unterwasserkamera:

     

    http://www.unterwasserkamera.at/shop/catal...-n-hugyfot.html

     

    On topic it says that Zen is for Hugyfot but in details Hugyfot is not mentioned. Maybe it´s worth asking.

     

    By the way what´s the difference between Zen and Hugyfot Wide Angle Port - L 50 / D 128?

     

     

    I looked and it seems cheaper there then the offer i got from my own supplier. i also noticed that there is a possibility of a 4.33" inch Nauticam minidome together with a port adapter, which would only be 510 euros. BTW, the Hugyfot Wide Angle port is not suitable for Fisheyelenses but only for rectilinear WA's and standardlenses. Anyone with experience with the Nauticam minidome? Is it also glass?

     

    cheers, Udo

  4. Hi Udo,

     

    I'm not sure this will help but...

     

    One of my dive buddies has used my Subal type 3 Zen minidome with his Hugyfot housed 7D with no problem. He just used the adaptor. I'm not sure if he used an extension, but this is moot anyway because his and your housings are different.

     

    The Nauticam dome, being acrylic, is very light!

  5. Hi Udo,

     

    I'm not sure this will help but...

     

    One of my dive buddies has used my Subal type 3 Zen minidome with his Hugyfot housed 7D with no problem. He just used the adaptor. I'm not sure if he used an extension, but this is moot anyway because his and your housings are different.

     

    The Nauticam dome, being acrylic, is very light!

     

     

    Thanks Adam, i think that the positioning of the nodal point of the Tokina in a 7D housing is the same as in my D200 housing (at least it should be like that i suppose...), but the 7D has a 1.6 cropfactor and Nikon 1.5, so a wider angle, which might cause solid black corners from the inside of port.

    Do you know how the quality of the Nauticam Domeport is? The price is a lot different...

    best, udo

  6. I looked and it seems cheaper there then the offer i got from my own supplier. i also noticed that there is a possibility of a 4.33" inch Nauticam minidome together with a port adapter, which would only be 510 euros. BTW, the Hugyfot Wide Angle port is not suitable for Fisheyelenses but only for rectilinear WA's and standardlenses. Anyone with experience with the Nauticam minidome? Is it also glass?

     

    cheers, Udo

     

    Udo mentioned that Hugyfot Wide Angle Port - L 50 / D 128 is only suitable for rectilinear WA's and standardlenses.

    I have tested Hugyfot Wide Angle port with Tokina 10-17 and Canon 400D. The picture was taken as wide as possible (10mm) and the result can be seen in picture IMG_1.jpg.

    post-8490-1290852338.jpg

     

    Picture IMG_2.jpg is after cropping the port shade.

    post-8490-1290852360.jpg

     

    I have no understanding about nodal points but to me this seems to work as long as I leave enough space for post cropping or zoom in just a little bit.

     

    Am I right or wrong? Or is there something more I should have thought?

  7. Udo mentioned that Hugyfot Wide Angle Port - L 50 / D 128 is only suitable for rectilinear WA's and standardlenses.

    I have tested Hugyfot Wide Angle port with Tokina 10-17 and Canon 400D. The picture was taken as wide as possible (10mm) and the result can be seen in picture IMG_1.jpg.

    post-8490-1290852338.jpg

     

    This is one of the reasons i do not want to use this dome with the fisheye: i prefer not to crop. On top of that, Nikon DX has a slightly wider angle than canon APS-C so i would even have to crop more. BTW, i tried it also with my own Hugyfot standards dome, and to me the cornersharpness in that configuration was unaceptable. And also the angle was less then with the big Hugydome, because the standard WA dome from Hugy is more flat (or less curved).

     

    Udo

    Edited by Udo van Dongen
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.