Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon Micro AF-S 60mm + Kenko Pro 300 Af DGx 1.4

Started by Koen ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Micro AF-S 60mm + Kenko Pro 300 Af DGx 1.4

12 posts
  1. Anyone experience with this combinantion: Micro AF-S+ Kenko pro 300 converter 1.4?

    Main question: does the AF work with this converter?

    Even on the webiste of Kenko you can't find information on this topic.

  2. With the PRO 300 1.4x, DGX full AF operation is possible with camera lenses having a maximum aperture of F4 or brighter. The same light and contrast requirements apply.

     

    However, I have NO idea why you'd want to do this. Get an 85 or 105mm lens instead. At full magnification (minimum focus distance) you will need a focusing light for any shot not well lit whereas the 105 will not need a focusing light except in the worst situations.

     

    Tom

  3. No, it doesnt work, it tries, but fails, manual focus works ok of course, but is a hand full.

  4. The 105mm is not very useful in the Belgian/Dutch muddy waters I’m diving in. Too much floating debris….So i will have to look for another solution for super macro.

  5. The 105mm is not very useful in the Belgian/Dutch muddy waters I’m diving in. Too much floating debris….So i will have to look for another solution for super macro.

     

    You can use + diopters to focus closer (hence greater than 1:1), but this will shorten the 18.5 mm close focus distance (sensor to subject). My older 105 lens will A/F with the 1.4 pro and focuses closer than 31.4 mm (don't recall exactly).

     

    There is a wealth of information on this site. Please use the search function. I searched or "macro" and found this:

    Greater than 1:1 macro

    Bob

  6. My second suggestion is get a SubSee. On a 105 you will need a focus light. In addition, any surge will prevent autofocus lock. However you will not dilute the light as you would with a T/C.

     

    I can test a 60mm with a 2:1 Kento on a D-300 if you like. I do get autofocus with the 2:1 and the 105 but I will need a focus light in many cases.

     

    My first suggestion, of course is to get on a plane.

     

    Regards,

     

    Tom

  7. The new Nikon 105mm micro lenses actually work with Nikon teleconverters! I've got the superb 2x spherical optics teleconverter, though I haven't tried it underwater - it would need something like a 40mm extension on the flat port. Diopters work pretty well, except it's a bugger to aim the lens in the right direction as the field of view is so small...

     

    Tim

     

    :D

  8. I have exactly the same problem: i can't find a TC that works with the Nikkor 60 mm AF-S. with the old one it worked perfectly, but somehow, Nikon doesn't want us to use the new 60 mm with a TC. If you explain in a shop that you want a TC for your macrolens, you only get answers that it's not meant like that and that you're basically an idiot with a stupid question. it would be great if someone has a solution.

     

    udo

  9. There is a chart on the nikon web somewhere to say what their TC's are compatible with, and the 60mm isnt with any. I also went thru Nikon support to find this, manual focus is the only way with a 60mm

  10. I used the 60m AF-D with a 2x Kenko pro3000 TC. It works but a good focus light is needed and forget using it in swell or surge as you will end up being sea sick. The AF-D 60mm and TC actually fitted into my 105mm port which I was using at the time.

     

    Cheers Mark

  11. I have an old 60mm that I will trade for a new 60mm.

     

    I have the same problem with a subsee diopter. My solution is a focus light AND my buddy shining a dive light on the subject. Otherwise you really need to be on the bottom.

  12. I have an old 60mm that I will trade for a new 60mm.

     

    I have the same problem with a subsee diopter. My solution is a focus light AND my buddy shining a dive light on the subject. Otherwise you really need to be on the bottom.

     

     

    I'd recommend to keep the 'old' 60 mm AF-D, so you can still use it with any TC. The 'new' 60 mm AF-S will refuse to autofocus with any TC, untill one of the manufacturer will fix this problem

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.