Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Fuji F30 vs Fuji 100FD

Started by kimatron ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Fuji F30 vs Fuji 100FD

5 posts
  1. Hey,

     

    Heading away next month for 6 month dive trip to the seychelles, completely uneducated about underwater photography, but looking for something to capture the sights I behold!

     

    Was looking to get the Fuji F100fd but I read somewhere the Fuji F30 was a great underwater camera, and I can pick one up for pretty cheap.

     

    Views please??

     

    Thanks

     

    Kim

  2. First question: can you get a housing for each model?

     

    If you plan on using the housing without any accessory lenses, get the F100fd. It has a wider lens. It also uses SD cards which are faster than the slower, more expensive xD cards. A 1GB xD card takes forever to download. A good class 6 SD card can download in no time.

     

    I used to have a F31fd. It was a fine camera for low light shots, but I was not satisfied with the colors and highlight control in bright situations. I had to do a bit of post processing to get the colors that I wanted. Two years ago I put it up on eBay and got $100 more than I paid for it.

  3. First question: can you get a housing for each model?

     

    If you plan on using the housing without any accessory lenses, get the F100fd. It has a wider lens. It also uses SD cards which are faster than the slower, more expensive xD cards. A 1GB xD card takes forever to download. A good class 6 SD card can download in no time.

     

    I used to have a F31fd. It was a fine camera for low light shots, but I was not satisfied with the colors and highlight control in bright situations. I had to do a bit of post processing to get the colors that I wanted. Two years ago I put it up on eBay and got $100 more than I paid for it.

     

     

     

    Hey,

     

    Thanks for getting back to me. Yep, housing comes with each model I'm looking at, i can pick up the f30 with housing for £150, the F100fd for about £300. I have no problem paying the extra money, it's just that I read somewhere that the f30 was great for underwater shots, but hard to find. The xD thing was putting me off it a bit too.

    As I said, I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to photography, I'd love to learn, but at the minute I'm pretty much a point and clicker.

  4. Hi,

     

    You won't go far wrong with the Fuji f30/31fd. They have excellent underwater capabilities for their price ( though hard to find now) and excellent battery life. We have two in our dive school and despite being older models now, we have no plans to change them. If you can add either an Inon AD105 or 165 wet attachment lens, it will come into its own.

     

    Andy.

  5. I used a f31 with a housing for my first underwater set up and thought it was great. Super easy to use. I also thought the housing was pretty solid and never had a problem with it. Like Andy said it works great with a inon 165 fisheye and macro lens if you want to expand a bit as well.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.