Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Do you sign your art?

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Do you sign your art?

6 posts
  1. I like giving decent sized photo's to family and/or friends for the holidays. In the past, I have signed the matte and that seems popular.

    Been thinking of shipping prints only (no matte) to family I will not see in person.

    Painters sign their work.

    Do you sign your work when giving or selling prints. Ever put a digital signature on the print itself?

     

    Wondering if adding a signature to the bottom right of a photo would be accepted well. Not white on dark, perhaps a signature in a complimenting color.

    Thought I would see what people here do/think about it.

    dave

  2. Rubber stamped on the back:

     

    Copyright 2010 by James Flenner

    All Rights Reserved

     

     

    Also, Digimarc on everything.

     

     

    All the best, James

  3. Digimark

  4. Am I missing something here... I get why you would use it for files, but why would you Digimarc a print?

  5. Hi Dave,

     

    This is an interesting one for me!!

    Do you mean, sign your work to add your personal, individual touch to the work, or sign as a proof of copyright, to protect against fraud?

    I ran two studios, one shot commercial, the other social (weddings, portraits, etc.)

    In commercial shoots, we handed over the originals (transparencies)to the printer so copyright was assumed by the commissioner of the work. This was normal and we invoiced accordingly. In the social market copyright remained with the studio. The photographer would sign any prints ordered from the negatives, to add an individual touch. All prints would be stamped with our copyright on the back.

    I also receive occasional payment from stock agencies on a pay per use basis. (Copyright remains with me.)

    I have, in the past, been subject to copyright fraud in the social market. Proving it however is a different matter, and a very expensive road to go down.( Personnel experience.)

    So, I guess signing and stamping your images is nice, but to anybody other than friends and family, its open house. Especially now in the digital world.

     

    On a personel front, if you give your work to people, or they ask for copies, I would sign it with pride.

     

    Andy.

  6. Hi Dave,

    This is an interesting one for me!!

    Do you mean, sign your work to add your personal, individual touch to the work, or sign as a proof of copyright, to protect against fraud?

    On a personel front, if you give your work to people, or they ask for copies, I would sign it with pride.

    Andy.

     

    I was thinking in terms of the artistic touch, not the copyright side. Based on the family side of sharing, I think copyright issues would not be an issue. So far, my friends are not likely to cause copyright issues but I guess you never know how things turn out in the future.

    I can see where you could have issues with the wedding/senior picture market side more easily.

    I can see where digimarc is a useful product...just another $50 or more/yr to spend. But this was not really the purpose for this thread.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.