Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

8-16 MM Sigma

Started by chrispak1962 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

8-16 MM Sigma

4 posts
  1. Hello,

     

     

    Are there photographers who use the 8-16 mm Sigma underwater and can you show me some

    photos taken with that lens and tell me what kind of dome you use? :D

  2. Yup, I shoot the Sigma with a 200mm Zen and 40mm extension. Corner sharpness with the 200mm dome is OK at f/8 or smaller though you could probably squeeze an extra stop or two with a larger dome.

     

    I'm looking forward to shooting wrecks with it and retaining some straight lines in the images. Also, when I'm shooting w/a with CJ we can swap around the rectilinear (8-16mm) with the fisheye (10-17mm) glass and get different perspectives of the same subjects. It just adds a little more interest but I wouldn't be without my Tokina...

  3. I use the 8-16 with the Seacam Superdome. I need f11 to get acceptable corners. I also tried the Seacam 6" dome but couldn't get better results. I didn't have exactly the right extension, but I don't think that was the issue. I like the rectilinear look better than the 10-17 with many subjects. If anyone has managed great corners at f5.6 with this lens, I'd love to hear what dome and extension.

  4. I use the 8-16 with the Seacam Superdome. I need f11 to get acceptable corners. I also tried the Seacam 6" dome but couldn't get better results. I didn't have exactly the right extension, but I don't think that was the issue. I like the rectilinear look better than the 10-17 with many subjects. If anyone has managed great corners at f5.6 with this lens, I'd love to hear what dome and extension.

     

     

    Hi, here are some reviews of the lens:

     

    http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/sigma-8-16mm-review

     

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/sigma/8-16mm.htm

     

    Here's one review in combination with Zen 230mm dome and 60 mm extension, should give acceptable results from 7.1 though personally I wouldn't go below 8 if I don't have to. I'm going to buy the lens for the d7000 in a Subal housing with a 230mm dome that I already have. Very nice, coated inside and outside (industries first):

     

    http://nauticamusa.com/?p=778

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.