Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

New/second hand set up req'd

Started by Bermydiver101 ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

New/second hand set up req'd

9 posts
  1. Hi all.

     

    I currently own an old canon 300d with an ikelite housing...of which has been fine with the little knowledge I have.

     

    I've been looking at wide angle lenses and new dome to support it...along with a strobe set up....but the price for all is stacking up!

     

    I'm off to Tiger beach in March and want the right gear to capture these amazing sharks.....without spending a fortune.

    The problem is,do I spend the cash to build up my set up...or risk buying second hand...!! I guess its down to luck really!

     

    Anyway,your input would be greatly appreciated....and I guess i'm willing to pay upto $2000...at a push

    Thanks

    Garin...the forum virgin!!

  2. Hi all.

     

    I currently own an old canon 300d with an ikelite housing...of which has been fine with the little knowledge I have.

     

    I've been looking at wide angle lenses and new dome to support it...along with a strobe set up....but the price for all is stacking up!

     

    I'm off to Tiger beach in March and want the right gear to capture these amazing sharks.....without spending a fortune.

    The problem is,do I spend the cash to build up my set up...or risk buying second hand...!! I guess its down to luck really!

     

    Anyway,your input would be greatly appreciated....and I guess i'm willing to pay upto $2000...at a push

    Thanks

    Garin...the forum virgin!!

    Hey Garin,

     

    First of all you can nick Stew's lenses.......

     

    Strobes and lenses can carry over to a newer camera / housing if you decide to upgrade later. I have bought alot of stuff 2nd hand and had no problems so far. Just be sure to ask the right questions and if possible have a look at the stuff first.

     

    Duncan

  3. Hey Garin,

     

    First of all you can nick Stew's lenses.......

     

    Strobes and lenses can carry over to a newer camera / housing if you decide to upgrade later. I have bought alot of stuff 2nd hand and had no problems so far. Just be sure to ask the right questions and if possible have a look at the stuff first.

     

    Duncan

     

    hahaha!! cheers mate...I would do...but I think Lou may have something to say about that!! can you take a peek at this and tell me what you think...thanks

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Ikelite-Digital-...9#ht_500wt_1156

  4. Did you win it ?

     

    Stew

     

    Naa! got pipped in the last 10 seconds!! gutted!!

  5. Naa! got pipped in the last 10 seconds!! gutted!!

     

     

    I would make Phil an offer on this

     

    Subal housing for sale

     

    and get yourself a body and a nice dome port and Bobs your uncle. I seriously cant understand why this has not sold.

     

    Stew

    Edited by stewsmith
  6. I would make Phil an offer on this

     

    Subal housing for sale

     

    and get yourself a body and a nice dome port and Bobs your uncle. I seriously cant understand why this has not sold.

     

    Stew

     

    Oh and a lens and some strobes and some strobe arms........

  7. You can get great deals on top-of-the line pro gear when people upgrade. I'm selling a complete Seacam housing rig with a camera body for only $5000. When you consider that this is one of the best and most rugged housings used by Doubilet, Aw, Bavendam etc it's a great way for beginners to get into top housings for a third the price. Subal is excellent too.

  8. I made this offer to another this evening. So far he has not responded:

     

    Fair Question-

     

    1-Olympus E330. Only used underwater. f you research this camera you'll find that it is the ONLY Olympus with a separate sensor for the live view. The result is that the mirror does not need to flip like it does on Canon, Nikon and newer Olympus cameras and that there is zero focus/shutter lag. For macro you need a viewfinder if you are looking to get exact focus on a particular shot-the critter's eye for example. The viewfinder is rather small compared to a later model.

     

    2-Olympus housing for the E-330 plus extra o rings etc (I don't know how many). With this camera the internal strobe DOES NOT pop up meaning that you CANNOT use a fiberoptic connection to an external strobe.

     

    3-Athena TTL converter. This device sits on the external strobe shoe on the housing and concerts the electrical impulses from the camera to external strobes. The strobes are electrically connected to the athena. WE have used both INON Z-240 and Ikelite strobes with this setup

     

    $750 for the above lot. Used working.

     

    What you need to make a complete unit.

    1-Port for the housing. Olympus ports are standard so a new port will fit. Alternatively a used port could be available. At one time we had a port for the Olympus 50mm macro lens which is terrific. My wife preferred the more flexible zoom lens. There are the 14/42, 14/45, 14/54 and 12/60. The 14/54 and the 12/60 are first class lenses. However the 12/60 cannot be easily housed. My wife used the 14/54. The lessor lens are cheaper and of less quality. I purchased a backup 14/54 lens use on ebay for about $300. It is also available new.

     

    2-A tray and arms for your strobe(s). These are available both new and used. However, to use a UCLS straight dual tray you need a special adaptor block that I had made. I believe that we still have the block but no guarantees. If we do we'll send it to you. A single UCLS arm works great.

     

    3-The electrical cables from the Athena to your strobe. I may still have one or two (no guarantees). These are pretty standard Nikonos-to-whatever cables that are available new or used.

     

    I am recommending this in lieu of a P&S. It will NOT take pictures at the level of a modern dSLR although with comparible lenses (the Olympus 50mm or 7/14 fisheye) they will be roughly equivilent. What you give up is the better autofocus, focus points and higher sensor resolution of you Canon. However, the sensor is much larger than any P&S, the lenses much better and their is instant write in RAW, (RAW is CRITICAL underwater, do you use it?) and no shutter lag in live view due to the mirror flip.

     

    Regards,

     

    tomreynolds_ilan@yahoo.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.