Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 17-40L and Sea & Sea

Started by tshepherd ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 17-40L and Sea & Sea

1 posts
  1. After leaving the whole rig alone for quite some time, I finally got around to trying to get my 17-40L working with my D60 and S&S housing. To make a long post short, here's what it took:

     

    1. Compact Dome port (only because this is the one I bought back earlier this year)

    2. Extension Ring 40 (#56111)

    3. Modified S&S focus gear for a Sigma 14mm 3.5 zen

    4. One rubber glove of generic brand.

     

    S&S Japan has the Compact Dome / Ext Ring 40 combination on the port chart for the D60 / 10D, so that was easy enough. There is also a zoom gear listed, but I'm not sure that S&S America knows anything about it. Since I already had the gear for the Sigma but no Sigma lens to use it with, I decided to cut it to fit. Basically just had to hack 1/2" or so off the length of the gear to get it to approximately the right size.

     

    Then I took an industrial rubber glove and cut some strips of rubber to about 1/2" wide. Wrapped those around the zoom ring on the 17-40L until I could get a friction fit between the zoom gear and the lens.

     

    Mechanically it works like a charm. The zoom gear works great if I set it up carefully, and the port combo looks to be ok too. Took it out in some very cold low vis quarry water last week, and it looks ok, but I won't really be able to tell until I get in a pool or out on a real trip in 68 days.

     

    Definitely going to have to either upgrade or add a strobe, the DS-50 isn't going to cut it at the wide end of the lens.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.