Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Spots on my wide angle lens

Started by dustin ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Spots on my wide angle lens

13 posts
  1. I have these spots on my wide angle lens and nothing will take them off.

    They seem to be under a coating on the lens surface, if there is one.

     

    The lens is an olympus wide angle lens, PWC-01. It has been rinsed in freshwater after every use.

     

    They dont seem to show up in my photos.

     

    lenspots.jpg

  2. Can’t really see from your picture if the spots are inside or on the outside?

    If it’s on the outside it would appear the Lens coating might have been damaged.

     

    Marc

  3. My guess is that the spots are either moisture (humidity) or fungus (mold, mildew). I've had problems with Nikon SLR lenses that have developed very similar spots over the years. Lenses can be cleaned and even re-coated by the manufacturers, but the expense is usually not worth it compared to the cost of a new lense. If you feel it is starting to show up in your images, send in the camera for service and get a service quote. Perhaps it's time to upgrade your camera?

     

    Doug

  4. Look across the surface of the lens on the right side, there are white spots the size of say a pencil eraser.

     

    The lens is new, less than a year old. Its only seen 4 dive trips.

     

    Dustin

  5. Send the lense back to Olympus and ask them to replace it.

     

    Doug

  6. Perhaps it's time to upgrade your camera

    The UN PWC-01 is a 'wet' WAL that goes on the outside of the housing.

    Dustin, it looks like the coating is getting affected. I have the same lens and a similar problem - at an angle it looks like purple 'stains' on the surface of the glass. It seems to be a common problem with the UN lens. I believe it happens with the Inons too.

    I too soak and give it good rinse after the dive but in hindsight I think I didn't do it soon enough. I now give it a good rinse with fresh water as soon as I get out of the water (shore or boat dives), even in-between dives, followed by a wipe down with a lens cloth. I think the salt water drying during the surface interval (shore or boat) and the boat trip back to land might have inflicted some damage to the coating. :angryfire:

    I haven't noticed any degradation to picture quality but I suspect the lens itself will be even more prone to flaring.

  7. I have the same lens with the same problem but much worse. From a few months after purchase I couldn't use the lens any more, as it noticeably degraded the image. I bought it in HK from a reputable shop (authorised dealer for almost everybody) and they said it wasn't their problem, take it to Olympus. Olympus said they didn't know anything about it, it's a UN brand product. UN don't seem to have any representation in HK ... This is a typical sort of story in HK, alhtough to be fair things have imrpoved somewhat in the last 8 years since I moved here. It may not be anything much to do with Olympus or UN as brands.

     

    At first I thought teh mark was on the outside of the lens. But someone (I can't remember who, now) told me that it's a problem with the coatings between the lens elements, and the only way to fix it would be to disassemble the lens and clean and recoat the elements, then reassemble and reseal it. Not a job for the home handyman, anyway, and not worth paying to have it done.

     

    That lens is now a paperweight.

     

    -David

  8. From a few months after purchase I couldn't use the lens any more, as it noticeably degraded the image.

    Can you elaborate on what degradation you noticed? Thanks.

  9. In my case the grey spots were quite a lot larger, covering perhaps 40% of the area of the lens.

     

    I felt (but couldn't find definitive evidence) that it made it harder to focus compared to when the lens was new, and I had the impresssion that the best images were a bit soft.

     

    Sorry I can't be more specific. I gave up on it fairly quickly (sometime early this year) and I haven't thought about it again since then.

     

    -David

  10. I ordered this lens from a company in Japan, it wasnt available in the US yet when I bought it. Is there a US olympus service place I can send it to?

     

    Dustin

  11. Dustin,

     

    Check out the Olympus website for info on how to send your lense back but here are the addresses of their USA service centers.

     

    Doug

     

    Olympus America Inc.

    Consumer Products Group

    400 Rabro Drive

    Hauppauge, NY 11788-4258

    Attn: Repair Department

    1-800-622-6372

    Fax: (631) 881-6580

    9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET

     

    Olympus America Inc.

    Consumer Products Group

    10805 Holder Street Suite 170

    Cypress, CA 90630-5145

    Attn: Repair Department

    1-714-503-5700

    Fax: (714) 229-1652

    8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. PT

  12. It is happening also in my Epoque WAL, not so big but some.

  13. Funny you should mention this. I have the exact same lens and the exact same problem. But there is no affect whatsoever that I can see with the quality of shots I am getting. The lens flare sounds interesting. I do get lens flares in my shots with the WAL, but didn't think it was related. I even have a scratch across the lens and have been lucky in that in water it is unnoticeable.

     

    --John

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.