Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Slow motion: CS5 vs other plug-ins

Started by Nick Hope ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Slow motion: CS5 vs other plug-ins

8 posts
  1. Does anyone know how good the slomo in Premiere Pro is? Does it use optical flow? Is it as good as the slomo in After Effects? Would the Twixtor plug-in (or anything else) make it better?

     

    I'm interested in better slomo than what Sony Vegas Pro can provide.

  2. Hey Nick,

    You can come here to San Diego to try it on my machine. I have it all installed but have never used Premier Pro myself.

    Steve

  3. Nick, if you are asking about ramping etc, I can't really compare with Vegas since I haven't even worked on it in years. I can say it's comparable to FCP's time effect, which does a very decent job of over and undercranking. Not as well as motion as with Twixtor but definitely acceptable.

  4. Thanks for the offer Steve but for the airfare I could just buy the whole suite :)

     

    Drew, I don't know what ramping means, but what I'm talking about is, for example, slowing footage to 25% or 50% of it's original speed, and doing something better than just interpolating or blending frames (which is what Vegas does). I've read that After Effects does it better than FCP, and I seem to remember at something like CS2 they included AE's slomo algorithm in Prem Pro.

     

    Recent Twixtor / Slomo discussion on the Vegas forum

  5. Oh well, there are 2 plugins I've used depending on scenes. Twixtor is definitely the better way of producing extreme speed changes than PP or FCP's time remap functions. Twixtor Pro's interpolation has the fewest artifacts of the stuff I've done and seen. However, it can go pretty off when you have a busy background.

    Kronos is the other one, and I bought it through the Furnacecore pkg earlier this year. Furnace is slightly faster than Twixtor in FCP, but I've moved to Premiere Pro CS5 for a lot of editing and it doesn't exist there. The results are about the same imagewise compared to Twixtor, though some claim it's better.

    There are others like Boris Fx (which also uses optical flow) but Twixtor works for me as it's a plug in in the NLE vs having to go to AEFX, Nuke or Shake. The interface is clunky and renders can be slow but the result is good. If it's post overcrank you want, I recommend Twixtor.

    Now whether it's worth the extra money is subjective. I suggest you download the demos and try them all out.

    Edited by Drew
  6. Drew,

    How about writing a Twixtor tutorial for us?

    Steve

  7. I use twixtor and it is a heap better than FCP speed changes. It is a longer workflow though, also I haven't had great results with 50i or 25p footage, 50p is heaps better.

     

    J

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.