Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Are strobes needed for manatees?

Started by peterclark ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Are strobes needed for manatees?

3 posts
  1. I am planning to go snorkeling with manatees in Crystal River this winter and plan to buy a Tokina 10-17 lens with the Iklike 8" dome port for the trip. What I do not know if I need or not are the strobes for the camera. If possible I would love to not have to buy strobes since I would have a hard time affording it. I currently live in the Florida Keys, so when I go diving I normally can just use natural light and Photoshop in the correct white balance. I know it is a good thing to have, but how important would it be for manatee shots in Crystal River? Any one have any experience there?

     

    Thank you in advance for your help!

  2. Others, i'm sure will chim in but it really depends.

     

    if you go on one of the early morning excursions (Bird leaves at 7am) you need a strobe as there is not enough light to get decent shots. in late morning (9am or later) and in the afternoon you could get by without strobes - if the sun is out.

     

    strobes can be a pain as the manatees are good at stirring up the bottom but will be needed in any morning trip.

  3. Others, i'm sure will chim in but it really depends.

     

    if you go on one of the early morning excursions (Bird leaves at 7am) you need a strobe as there is not enough light to get decent shots. in late morning (9am or later) and in the afternoon you could get by without strobes - if the sun is out.

     

    strobes can be a pain as the manatees are good at stirring up the bottom but will be needed in any morning trip.

     

    Thank you very much for that information. That right there confirms I need strobes since from everything I've read the morning trips are the ones I would want. So thank you for your help.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.