I was told that the Beneath the Sea is accepting HD DVDs. However, probably due to nomenclature they are using I am confused. HD DVDs stopped being made when the only manufacturer of HD DVDs halted all production. That company was Toshiba, the only manufacturer of the HD DVD players and theatrical releases. It used a red laser as opposed to the blue laser of BluRay. So, unless the judging panel is viewing off an old Toshiba HD DVD player, I don't see how people can submit films in that format. They can take their HD movies and down convert to making an SD DVD easy enough which is what many are doing. Apple users can not burn to Blu Ray since Apple software is not capable of BD discs and Apple, to the dismay of many, never got the license for BluRay production.
I can make a DVD for the old Toshiba HD DVD player if that's what judges will be using but I do not know. A better way for everyone, and one that the Aggressor competition is using is to make what is called a DATA DVD. In this case, the uncompressed HD/HDV/AVCHD movie is transferred to the DVD as DATA. When the disc is installed in a Mac, you would open the disc and drag the movie to the desktop and play it from there in full resolution. You would not play it directly off the disc. I am not sure whether a DATA disc made on a Mac would be playable on a PC, maybe/maybe not.
I guess what it comes down to for me is that while I can submit a SD version of an HD movie on a DVD, I would rather submit a fully non-compressed, full resolution film. Does any one have thoughts or suggestions regarding this issue. It seems that the more I know and learn, the more I realize how much I don't know and need to learn.
Steve