Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Lux levels in sunlight?

Started by echeng ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Lux levels in sunlight?

3 posts
  1. Hello, guys. I was wondering if any of you had lux meters handy. I'm trying to get a real-world survey of lux levels during the middle of the day. I went outside just now and measured 83,000 lux (Bay Area, California). Some references say it is supposed to be 100,000-120,000 lux. The sun is low in winter; maybe there is less light because it has to go through more of the atmosphere.

     

    If you can go outside and measure, please post your results here!

     

    Lux:

    Location:

    Date and Time:

     

    Thank you. :P

  2. Hello, guys. I was wondering if any of you had lux meters handy. I'm trying to get a real-world survey of lux levels during the middle of the day. I went outside just now and measured 83,000 lux (Bay Area, California). Some references say it is supposed to be 100,000-120,000 lux. The sun is low in winter; maybe there is less light because it has to go through more of the atmosphere.

     

    If you can go outside and measure, please post your results here!

     

    Lux:

    Location:

    Date and Time:

     

    Thank you. :P

    Los Angeles (more or less). 12:30 PM or so. In the shade somewhere between 20 and 22K. In the sunlight I get 91K. Lab calibrated Gossen meter.

    Bill

  3. Thank you, Bill. Very helpful!

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.